Spread Focus Question....

Aura Wolf

I've been wondering. There are so many different Tarot spreads out there, particularly 3-card spreads. Do you focus on the spread you plan to do before/during the time you focus on your question, before you lay out the cards? As you know, when you shuffle the cards before a reading, you do so while focussing on the question in your mind. How so then, would the cards always land in the correct positions while doing a 3-card reading unless it was somehow communicated to the cards beforehand which particular spread you were doing? I realize the cards aren't alive, but it seems to me that there has to be some sort of clarification made before a reading, to yourself and/or higher power helping you with the reading, which spread you are planning to do if the spread has the same number of cards and/or the same layout as another spread. Otherwise, how does your higher power know what your positional meanings are, and where the correct cards should land? Ie. How do they know you are doing a Past/Present/Future spread rather than a Question/Querent/Outcome spread?

Sorry if this sounds confusing. Anyone who can help?

Agathe

Hey Dead Star,
When I do this, I fisrt focus on a question, then think about a spread and then ask the question one more time. I was told that the cards just know. And I believe you will know what exactly they talk about when you see tem. I used to have the same problem like you, but when you focus and clarify what you want them to show you, there souldn't be a problem.
I think my answer sounds confusing as well :eek:(. Sorry. I hope, however, that it helps somehow :eek:).

lunalafey

I understand where you are coming from

I start with the question....hmm; what deck? what spread?
I figure what my spread will be, for sure! I have a few 4-5 & 7 card spreads I use often- so I make a point of really picking which 4 card spread I'm doing. With spreads that lay out the same; but have different meanings; that makes things confusing sometimes- I so understand. If I don't make a point of what spread and position/meanings, I find it hard to read.....am I reading a PPF? or a MBS?.....eek
as I shuffle cards and focus on the Q- I will throw in a shuffle to remind myself what spread I am using, every once in a while.

Aura Wolf

Thanks guys. I suppose I just need to focus on two things instead of one :>

Majecot

I focus on the question first ( or situation) , then the deck then the spread... actually I think the deck chooses me :)

bec

I focus on the question and then when shuffling I tell the cards (in my mind) what positions I need answers for.

Like a rant sort of: I need the querent, where is this coming from, what is going on, who is merging, who is fo etc.

so yes, I very much focus on the spread, when shuffling I say out loud in my mind and when laying the cards I tell each position meaning out loud to tarot and who ever is read for even if it is for me.

Aura Wolf

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

DeLani

When I need to do a reading, I think of my question or problem and look through my notebook to find which spread will suit me. Then I simply focus on the question while shuffling.
For querents, if they tell me the question, I pick the spread while they shuffle. If they don't, I use a Celtic Cross or a 3 card (positions are open to interpretation).