Spreads for The High Holidays?

Blackash

Usually I spend a small portion of Yom Kippur in Synagogue and the rest of it sitting quietly by myself while I wait for the fast to be over. With my discovery of the Tarot I hope to be more productive this year and spend that important day meditating with my cards on who I am, what I've done in the past year and what I hope to fix in the coming year. I also want to focus on forgiving others as well as myself for the various wrongs done throughout the year. I thought this might be a good and productive way of getting in touch with myself, and perhaps a more personal method of praying.

I know there are at least a few Jewish Tarot users in the forum; I'm curious, do you do have any spreads you like to use for the High Holidays?

For those who don't know, Yom Kippur also known as the Day of Atonement, is the holiest day of the year for religious Jews. Its central themes are atonement and repentance. For non-Jews, do you have any spreads you think are particularly insightful on internal matters?

moderndayruth

I use no-positions spreads, draw and lay down 5-7 cards, with TdM - usually during Shabbat, to get insights into the Parsha, (the weekly readings from Torah that is); i find it a ... well, (in a good way ;)) a mind -blowing experience!

For High Holidays i read Kabbalah Deck
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/kabbalah-deck/
its amazing and gives really powerful readings.
(In the book that comes with it there is a great selection of spreads.)

Hope this helps.

Blackash

What an interesting way of using Tarot to connect to the weekly readings. Very cool!

As for the Kabbalah Deck, I might look into that, possibly for next year, since for the moment I'm reluctant to buy any new decks. I just started learning two weeks ago, so I want to make sure my interest doesn't burn out before buying anything more.

Out of curiosity, though, would any of the spreads in Kabbalah Deck's companion book be applicable to other decks? If so, could please share a few? I would greatly appreciate the guidance.

Thank you so much for your help and suggestions! It really does help.

moderndayruth

Blackash said:
Out of curiosity, though, would any of the spreads in Kabbalah Deck's companion book be applicable to other decks?
Its an oracle, with Hebrew letters, Sefirot etc.; for example you are pulling cards
on Rosh Hashanah ("Jewish New Year") and reading provides guidance until Passover; than, also, you can pull four letters and arrange them from right to left and so on.
Maybe you can use some system of relating Tarot Trumps to Hebrew Letters (like this one: http://newsletter.tarotstudies.org/2009/04/tarot-trumps-and-hebrew-letters/) and work your way from there, but than there isn't one system that's accepted by everyone.
You can work on your own system of course, but meanwhile for the High Holidays and stuff i really can't recommend anything better than this oracle - more so that its creator is a Kabbalist from a rabbinical dynasty and the accompanying book is amazing.

Blackash

For now, I think that trying a few of the system of relating Tarot Trumps to Hebrew Letters. They might not be perfect but should work for this preliminary part of my Tarot journey.

You definitely have got me interested in the Kabbalah Deck, though. Perhaps that will be the next one I buy...

Thanks for your guidance! You have given me a lot to think about!