Stained glass windows and tarot

lark

I have always wondered if stained glass windows had any connection or impact on the creation of tarot. I remember reading a long time ago (and I can't even remember where) that the makers of these windows had a secret symbolic code. And that there is alot more to them than meets the eye.

Has anyone heard of this or was I dreaming?

I searched for a thread about this but didn't find one.

Cerulean

Luigi Scapini's Stained Glass Tarot

Very beautiful deck.

http://www.tarotpassages.com/filipas6.htm

The other two commercial decks that have some 'stained glass' effect do not address what you mentioned.

Tarot of the Cloisters is an out of print round deck (used to be published by U.S. Games) that was Rider Waite style and some people thought it was too jarring and crackly. It only has RWS related pictures and brief meanings--pretty, but supposedly a tribute to stained glass collection at the Hermitage in New York

The other, Lo Scarabeo's "Tarot of the Crystals," by Elisabetta Trevisan, has been discussed before, but the small discussion about it doesn't really attribute the development art to stained glass as a craft...

but Scapini's Stained Glass Tarot does a great job, has booklet/book in at least Italian and English and may be just what you are looking for.

Let me know what you think
...I just received one version of this deck and book this week.

Mari Hoshizaki

lark

Thank you Mari

I didn't think when I asked the question that there would be a whole deck based on that theory!
It is absolutely beautiful. When the scans came up the colors took my breath away. Oh dear, another deck to put on my wish list. (where's the nine of cups when you need it?)

So you actually have this deck. How is the book? Does it explain any of the stained glass symbolizm? I have the Midieval Scapini and the LWB is brief.

Cerulean

Hope you get to the Filpas review

Mark Filpas's review is right on the spot about the English information in the informative and thick booklet.

He also reviews the Shakespeare Tarot by Scapini, which has an even thicker booklet of meanings.

Dal Negro's presentation is very nice.