Star Reversed & 4/Wands Combo (in a relationship reading)

maggiecat

Hi everyone - first of all- thanks so much for all the awesome threads on this forum. I have been lurking for about 6 months; incredibly helpful.

This may be an obvious one, but I am a novice: Star Reversed & 4/Wands. Star reversed as overall situation with 4/wands pulled as a clarifier.

Does this mean no hope for a happy/stable future relationship? Or that a possible future reunion is possible but delayed? This is what has been driving me crazy about my readings; it seems like everything I pull regarding the future has two meanings that are opposite each other.

I'm hoping someone's going to tell me I'm wrong, and that this one's pretty definitive. :) I apologize if this is miscategorized - it is part of a larger reading so I think it's in the right place?

Moonage Daydream

Hi everyone - first of all- thanks so much for all the awesome threads on this forum. I have been lurking for about 6 months; incredibly helpful.

This may be an obvious one, but I am a novice: Star Reversed & 4/Wands. Star reversed as overall situation with 4/wands pulled as a clarifier.

Does this mean no hope for a happy/stable future relationship? Or that a possible future reunion is possible but delayed? This is what has been driving me crazy about my readings; it seems like everything I pull regarding the future has two meanings that are opposite each other.

I'm hoping someone's going to tell me I'm wrong, and that this one's pretty definitive. :) I apologize if this is miscategorized - it is part of a larger reading so I think it's in the right place?

OK I don't read with reversals but I guess it would be the same as reading the Star as ill dignified. In which case I'd say that it's not saying that there isn't any hope but either you or the other party doesn't have fait in future right now. I don't know the question or exact nature of the situation but it could also indicate deep sadness and loss of hope. The thing about the Star is even when it seems like there is no hope that's never actually the case. It implies that regardless if you and the person end up together there is always light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm a novice too but I've learned there are no definites in tarot. The meanings of the card are different for many people and as you have pointed out, each card has a multitude of meanings and it's different depending on your question and surrounding cards. I think one of the biggest challenges is letting your intuition pick out which meaning works best at the moment.

I hope I was of a little help. I'm still learning as well! :)

astrofeather

I've always read the Star as another "confidence" card. Confidence, creativity, pursuit of happiness. Reversed, I connect it to insecurity. I usually don't do future readings because of this duality and I don't feel like I can read the future (personal belief), and either way I wouldn't say there isn't hope. But, I think that this is saying that the overall situation (which sounds more present-tense?) is full of insecurities. The relationship has some insecure foundations that need to be addressed.

4 of Wands is definitely very different than a reversed Star. It's the celebration of a culmination of things - and, as it's the suit of wands, personal ambitions and desires, etc.

Maybe the opposite natures of these two cards is hinting at the insecurity or imbalance that the Star is talking about. This is probably where you'd connect it to other cards in the reading. Is the querent thinking about actions? Is the spread suggesting any actions? Would the Star happen with one path, and the 4 of Wands in another?

You might have these already in this reading, but I like including things like desired outcome, expected outcome, stuff like that. It at least helps me to pick apart realistic things and things that I or the querent might want to hear.

maggiecat

Moonage & Astro - thanks so much for replying. I've been using the tarot to deal with the situation (very painful) since November - been able to find an "answer" myself every time up til now.

I think you're both right, at least in how I should be interpreting it (sooo newb, can't comment on anything being "correct" now can I!). I'm in the process of accepting that a 24-year star-crossed love type of situation is virtually a complete unknown. I currently have not one thing to go on, which is so awful for me. When I saw the reversed Star today, I thought "Finally, all hope gone, move on," felt the urge to draw a card on top of it and pulled that 4 wands. Still totally do not get that card in the midst of this reading - most of the rest of which I interpret as, you don't get to know, you have to wait, now's not the time keep working, keep moving forward. Those messages have been incredibly consistent throughout the past months.

I have a strange sense of faith about this relationship, maybe because it's such a long one that never seems to truly break or die - but I often wonder if it's just my imagination - like maybe I need to believe that. But I just CANNOT shake it. I really want to. In light of that, the Star reversed makes some sense to me. But it still feels like it could go either way. I feel hopeless about the situation while still unable to shake that little voice inside that's been saying "this guy's your soulmate!" since I was 13.

Thanks so much for your insights; I feel better. I guess my takeaway from this is starting to shape: keep moving forward, though there is no clear direction, no guide; accept the feelings of hopelessness/accept that there's not much security right now. ACCEPT IT.

Oh, and Astro, I hadn't considered this: "Would the Star happen with one path, and the 4 of Wands in another?" I wonder. I feel like I don't get a choice at all in my path right now but now you've got me thinking...

rwcarter

I'm of the school that believes that a clarifying card restates the message of the original card in a different way that maybe you'll understand. So you need to look at what the two cards have in common to understand what they're both trying to tell you.

I've read the replies to this thread, but will still go with my initial reactions which may or may not resonate with you. I also don't use reversed cards (cause I don't like looking at upside down images, but I do still apply reversed meanings to upright cards). Reversed cards can be the opposite of the upright image but they can also be interpreted in other ways. (Mary Greer has a book on Tarot Reversals where she lists something like 13 or 15 different ways that reversed cards can be interpreted.)

The first thing that came to my mind about a Star Rx was that one's hopes are actually getting in the way, in effect blocking the ability for those desires to manifest. In that case the 4W as clarifier would represent a specific desire about manifestation or completion in the relationship.

So as overall situation, you need to objectively (as hard as that can be) look at the situation. Is a 24 year star-crossed love type relationship (which could also be the meaning of the Star Rx) really worth continuing/pining after? If it's truly star-crossed, the likelihood is that you two will never be together. So holding out (Star Rx) for an unlikely outcome with this person will leave you unable to find completion with anyone (4W). Does that make sense?

Rodney

maggiecat

Is a 24 year star-crossed love type relationship (which could also be the meaning of the Star Rx) really worth continuing/pining after? If it's truly star-crossed, the likelihood is that you two will never be together. So holding out (Star Rx) for an unlikely outcome with this person will leave you unable to find completion with anyone (4W). Does that make sense?

Yes - perfect sense - in fact, I'm certain that's what it means - since that is exactly what's happened (every relationship ever for me has been confused/obstructed/ended/whatever by or because of this guy)

Seems like every time I'm drawing tarot cards I just don't want to accept what I already know is true. Sigh. Thanks, Rodney. :)

Intotouch

My own experience of these cards in a relationship may be very particular. The star is one card I see in a relationship that cannot last, that if both parties accept this is actually really positive, a bright sparkly small thing that renders a dull life a little bit magical for a while. Often this is a relationship where one person sees the other as superior, beyond them, unreachable on any real or committed level. Fun and beautiful and inspiring but anyone trying to make something more of this will fail and get hurt. One person is the star in the relationship, the other the worshiper and soon the star will fade and vanish in the morning light. With morning there comes cold awareness of how little this star was offering too.

The four of wands, especially reversed is for some reason a card that comes up for un committed relationships. On the outside this is a couple in a stable relationship but thats just surface there is no commitment or real future here. It's a period of stability in a passionate couple and one party typically is holding back from it becoming officially a couple. A commitment phobe in other words. I don't know why this card has this more negative meaning in my readings but there you go. A relationship in which one person will want more and end up often frustrated or heart broken.