Story Spread Idea

poivre

Question

I don't know if this idea would work & any input is welcome.

What if after the cards are shuffled & cut you spread them on the table & ask our client
"choose one card for the word cups," then take the card.
"choose one card for the word wands,"
"..........................................coins,"
".........................................swords,"
You now have their 4 choices in a pile. Now ask them to think of what the cards would like them to know & choose 3 more cards.

Now you have 7 of their choice of cards. Take a lay they out on the table side by side & read them as a STORY.

YEA or Ney
Thanks for any replys.

Also please move if this should be in the spread thread. I put it here because I don't know if this works or not.

Imagemaker

I've done something like this. Say, "Tarot, tell me a story about this person," and draw 6 cards (after shuffle and cut).

Lay them out in a row and look at them as aspects or indicators of the person's life, background, and personality. I just describe the cards and say what comes to mind.

In the several times I've done it with a person I don't know (sitting there), they've said the reading was highly accurate about their life. When I've done it for a friend, then I can get really specific about what is revealed about the patterns of their life.

I use it more as a playful thing than a divination--a way to say, "see what tarot can do?"

galadrial

Hi ros,

I use a spread similar to your idea. It's called the Magician's Table spread and was originally posted by Marc Gerstein on Tarot-L (which I'm not a member of; I got it from an online tarot magazine which reproduced it. Unfortunately, as this was several years ago I no longer remember the magazine's name). Besides the four suits, listed as " 1. This is what you desire; the energy of wands. 2. This is what you feel; the energy of cups. 3. This represents the thoughts you bring to the issue; the energy of swords. And, 4. This shows what resources, skills, etc. you bring to the situation; the energy of Pentacles", there is a fifth card described as "This is what the universe brings to the situation; in other words, the Universe's answer to your wish (that which you cannot manipulate)". Marc says, in part: "For instance, suppose you want better health, and you get the Moon in the earth position. Don't just read it that you're only bringing your fears and throw up your hands about the whole thing. Look at the card. See what, if any elements catch your eye. Perhaps the dog. Or maybe the tower. Or whatever. What does the symbol mean to you? What sort of affirmations or visualizations might it suggest to you that might help you get beyond this fear. Don't just work with these symbols, though. Pay attention to the "energy of the magician" represented by the 5th card in the top position. (my note: the first four cards are laid in a row, the fifth card is above them). That's what the universe is contributing. So look to see what elements you can draw from that card to help you with the elements you've selected from the Moon."
I've never used this spread with someone else, but I like to use it for myself and I find it lends itself well to storytelling, so I do not see why your idea would not work just as well:)