Story starter spread

magdelena

This is just an idea that I've been playing around with since this morning. I've been in the mood to write, but my inspiration kinda went out the window. So I came up with this:

http://shamed.net/raido/tarot/storystarter.gif

The idea of it was to use court cards for the main character, the suit cards to describe the characters' relationship with each other, and the Majors to describe their past and present. Though, you don't HAVE to use the cards that way. I think it's pretty flexible in its use. Comments and suggestions welcome (and be easy, it's only my first spread).

dadsnook2000

Continuing the layout

magdelena. This is a nice idea! After reading your post my next thought was, "What is the issue that these two characters are having to deal with?" Then, "What external forces are impacting this issue?" I think that one could lay out a core storyline this way. Then, keeping the prior-used cards, you could follow the same or similar approach to adding another character and then his/her issue and impacting forces -- followed by a "interaction" card showing how the added character's situation interacts with the core story line. By now you would have a fairly complex situation all laid out about which you could start to write.

Of course, you'd have to pick a time frame and time line, a setting (country, place, neighborhood), etc., but that is just the small stuff. Dave.

Jeanette

What a fun idea. And then, when you're famous, and someone asks, "Where do you get your ideas?" you'll tell them it all began with a tarot spread..... Could even be a sort of party game, everyone getting a different card and making up a different part to the story.......

Majecot

That is very interesting.. it does sound like a party game.

Imagemaker

This is a super idea. I've recently started using the cards for writing fiction, drawing one as a guide to the day's focus or theme.

No more staring at a blank screen--now I can start with *something* and have been thrilled that it leads the way.