Study Group Ideas

Jeanette

I'm not sure if this is the right forum... I'm considering starting a study group in my area and need some ideas on how to go about it. I don't want to be a "leader" or "teacher" exactly, maybe just an organizer! Any input would be appreciated (I might have only one or two people interested at this point). I can get a space to hold a meeting; I work at a library and could use our meeting room. I could also advertise a study group sort of thing on the library calendar. I guess what I need help with is some sort of outline to follow, sort of a lesson plan?
Thanks for any advice!

Starbreeze

I've never participated in any tarot study groups before, but I think that first you need to figure out what level the people in the group are at. If they aren't all 100% new to tarot, you might want to hold a meeting simply to discuss what everyone wants to get out of this study group experience and to see what people are interested in focusing on.

SakuraFae

Jeanette said:
I'm not sure if this is the right forum... I'm considering starting a study group in my area and need some ideas on how to go about it. I don't want to be a "leader" or "teacher" exactly, maybe just an organizer! Any input would be appreciated (I might have only one or two people interested at this point). I can get a space to hold a meeting; I work at a library and could use our meeting room. I could also advertise a study group sort of thing on the library calendar. I guess what I need help with is some sort of outline to follow, sort of a lesson plan?
Thanks for any advice!

I run an online group in a virtual world. The group started with another person running it. He set a steady pace and went through all of the cards and their meanings using images from 5 of his decks. In an hour we probably covered about 6 cards. The pace was enough to open discussion but not get to heavy into the dogma and let individual intuitiveness have a glimpse. We have newbie and seasoned readers that attend and all seem to get something out of it, whether it be being able to support new readers or picking up new things.

I've continued the group and found that some just like to chat, so I stagger and have one week's meeting for chatting and one week's meeting for study. I open each meeting by asking someone if they'd like to share a short story of a poem that they've written based off of a card. Some of the topics we will be or have covered are:

Using colors in your reading
Suit elements
Cartomancy and using numbers
Seasons
Symbolism
The journey of the fool

It can go on and on, chances are as people start coming and joining in, they'll have lots of ideas to keep things going. Afterall, a group is all about the members!

Good luck. :D