Suddenly into crystals - have questions!

Niti

Hi all,

I've quite surprised myself recently.

For ages, I was one of those people that thought stones and crystals were one of those "fluffy" b-s-ey "new-age trends". I had no interest in them, didn't see how they could possibly work.

Then the other day, whilst browsing a certain metaphysical shop's website, I suddenly decided to look at the crystals, and felt really drawn to some of them! I started adding things to my cart, reading up on them, and then diddly-daddlying back and forth about whether to actually buy any.

Today, as I wandered around the streets of this lovely town to which I am still a newb...I came across a shop devoted entirely to crystals! The energy inside was lovely, there were a surprising number of people inside, and I immediately found myself drawn to certain stones. I couldn't believe it. I swear, I have been in shops with all sorts of crystals before, and never felt a thing...

*Anyway*, I ended up buying a handful of little tumblestones that I thought complemented each other nicely (both in general purpose and in appearance) and I think I may have a new addiction! I am very happy with my purchase.

But first - questions!

Are some stones better used/kept alone than together? I like the combination of stones I have (amethyst, flourite, rose quartz, and citrine), but I feel like if I separated the rose quartz and citrine, the energy would be much more "pure" and positive than they are in the pile with the two others. I feel like the amethyst is sobering up the energy of all the other stones in the pile!

Does the shape and size of the stone matter much? I noticed that there were egg-shaped and heart-shaped stones, and some were rough, while others were smooth (like tumblestones). One stone in particular - Hematite...I didn't feel any connection with in smaller versions, but when I held the large heart-shaped stone, I *really* felt the grounding, calm energy. I almost bought it right on the spot, but it was kind of muffed so I am going to purchase it online.
I also noticed some other stones that resonated with me in the little egg-shaped forms, but which I had no interest in as tumblestones. Is that odd?

Another thing - do you think color affects the energies coming from a particular stone? For example, do you think you would get something differnet ouf of an almost-translucent amethyst than you would from one of those really deep purple ones? Or from a pale citrine stone compared to a very intense/cloudy yellow one? I wonder, if I buy online, if it would be worth it to request certain color types to make sure they resonate with me properly.

Sorry if these questions have all been asked a million times or are answered in the most basic books. I am doing research now, but I keep getting sidetracked by other interesting crystal discussions. Feel free to point me in the right direction!

(also, thanks for reading another one of my long essay-like posts hehe)

sharpchick

I am more into form than color for choosing stones. (Don't get me wrong, I also choose some colors over others.)

Round spheres emit energy in all directions. Eggs are frequently used in accupressure and reflexology, with the smaller, pointed end of the egg used for contact. Points are frequently used in healing and direct energy from the point into the target area. Double terminated points radiate or absorb energy from two directions simultaneously. I find clusters useful for cleansing a room because they radiate energy into multiple directions at the same time. For past life work or contact with ancestral spirits, I favor crystal skulls, and always keep one on my altar.

Some people will say that only stones in their natural, uncut state should be used. Unfortunately, that would be very limiting for me. All of my stones are working stones, so if I have a specific need, I'll look first to the shape of the stone I need when making a selection.