Sybil Leek/March & McEvers?

seaweed

I was just reading a Sybil Leek book (I think it's "My Life in Astrology) and she mentions that she was trained through the old German school of astrological teaching. Does anyone know what school of thought she's referring to? (Hopefully, I'll be getting more of her books soon.)

Also, has anyone had experience with the March and McEvers "The Only Way to Learn Astrology" series?

Merci beaucoup!

dadsnook2000

Sybil Leek

I remember Sybil Leek. In the circles that I participated in she was regarded as being a little bit like Sydney Omar -- only without the serious credibility that Sydney had. I lost repspect for her when she claimed in one of her books to have found a common factor for astronauts, something they all had in common in their charts. What was it? They all had Pluto in a narrow span of the zodiac. Of course, everyone born in a certain era had that same placement and they weren't astronauts. The point is, she was a writer of Sun-sign and sensational stuff.

As to the "German" school, this could be refering to the Hamburg school of thought associated with Vitte, Ebertin and others. This group promulgated the use of mid-points, equal arcs and the development of graphical ephemerides and tools to make complex astrology much easier to use. In this sense, nothing I ever read about/from Sybil Leek ever incorporated this more serious and effective side of astrology. My overall opinion is that she has had a very low level of impact and contribution to our field. Dave

seaweed

Thanks dadsnook2000,

I really appreciate all the info. I'm new to really trying to learn the nitty-gritty of astrology and help from people with as much life experience as you do with these books/authors really makes it easier to navigate the waters. Thank you!

I'm pretty surprised at how snarky Sybil Leek was, at least in this book. Maybe it's how it was edited or packaged or something, but it comes off as kind of the sour rantings of a woman who came to feel that most people were useless, weak and pedestrian--esp. if they wern't society people. Maybe her earlier books are different, but this one was a disappointing read. Still, I'll try to make notes of her observations and compare them with other authors. I'll check out Vitte and Ebertin, too, but I'm definitely going to look deeper into Sydney Omar--it's nice to think of an astrologer who provides credible, horoscope-inner-working insights in a way that's accessable to the masses.

Thanks again, dadsnook2000