SYMBOLOGY STUDY GROUP: Miscellaneous Majors May 14-May 31

tabi

The change in dates will bring us to June and give me time to set up how to do the minors. Also gives us all time to look through the deck to see if there is anything we want to add to this one. Or if we want to add to the older threads.

This is going to be the place where you put any of the majors that don't fall into a traditional name card. There are a lot of decks out there that have add new Majors to their deck simply because they feel it should be there. I have only one deck that does this but it is actually one of my favor cards.

The Quest deck has a card called the Multiverse.

So many of the Earth is implying that we have many many choices. Things that are offered to us freely here on this planet if we are smart enough and wise enough to choose what it is that we want. The light coming behind the one seems to be a glowing halo of the right one, how do we know it is the right one with all of the other ones around it? *shrugging* Because we choose it to begin with. :p

Free feel to add any card that does NOT fall into the traditional line up of the tarot.

afrosaxon

NOVT-- Les Barons card [Wild Card]

Hiii...*waving*

The New Orleans Voodoo Tarot has a wild card that is not found in any RWS deck. It's called Les Barons

Les Barons refers to a group of Guedeh (spirits of Death) that are prominent in the vodoun pantheon:

--Baron Samedi [Baron of "Saturday"]: lwa of sex and resurrection. Very obscene, rude, uses a lot of phallic gestures (very sexual).
--Manman Brigitte: the wise, compassionate judge. She is actually named for the Irish Saint Brigid. Equally sexual and curses a lot, like her husband Samedi. Known for dancing the banda (a very sexual, sensual dance).
--Baron Cimitiere [Baron of the Cemetery]: guardian of the cemetery
--Baron La Croix [Baron of the Crossroads]: guardian of the crossroads between life and death. Lwa of expression and living happy because Death is the great equalizer. Very cultured and smooth.

It has been said that Baron Cimitiere and Baron La Croix are not actually separate lwa, but rather are manifestations of Baron Samedi. There is some dispute about that, though.

The Guedeh are known for their bawdy and boisterous acts. They rule humor, sex, and death (indeed, orgasm is called le petit mort -- "the little death"), and those not-so-pleasant, unexpected surprises (like...death!).

Baron Samedi is the leader of the Guedeh, and he is married to Manman Brigitte, the wise and compassionate judge. Baron Cimitiere (holding a tombstone) is also shown in this card, and all three lwa are dressed in purple with grinning skull faces. The Barons wear top hats, which is a common affectation of Baron Samedi (who is also shown sometimes carrying a cane, which he uses in an obscene, phallic manner })). They walk up stairs to...a building? There is a hand emerging from the crowd behind them, reaching toward a sky the color of the Caribbean or Aegean Seas.

I interpret this card as the "laugh to keep from crying" card. When I get it in a reading, I usually encourage the querent to laugh more, even when (or especially when) things don't seem a bit funny.

This has been a hard card to wrap my head around, since I have to interpret it solely by intuition (there is a lot of purple in this card, so that's a hint to do this as well).

T.

Attachments

• Wild Card -- Les Barons.jpg
    Wild Card -- Les Barons.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 94

tabi

They all look rather pimp-ish don't they??

Purple is for royality and psyche abilities, given what the Les Barons mean I would lean towards the other one. I do rather like the card though. There is a very happy and joyous feel to it even if it deals with death. Then I will be the first to tell you that I have a strange view of death to begin with. However doesn't the Lwas tend to celebrate death more then traditional Christianity?

Great card T :thumbsup: Have to say that it is probably my favorite out of this deck. ;)

afrosaxon

tabi said:
The Quest deck has a card called the Multiverse.

So many of the Earth is implying that we have many many choices. Things that are offered to us freely here on this planet if we are smart enough and wise enough to choose what it is that we want. The light coming behind the one seems to be a glowing halo of the right one, how do we know it is the right one with all of the other ones around it? *shrugging* Because we choose it to begin with. :p

This is a pretty card (and a pretty deck!). I just keep staring at it...:cool:

The card speaks to me of possibilities; the possibilities are endless, just as there seems to be an endless amount of planets in this card.

T.