Tarot and Gypsies and Egypt

brightcrazystar

I was wondering what personal opinions of this are. Do you see any connection or not? If so, do you see it to the Romani (Rom) or the Ashkali (Hashkalia) or the Gitano? I think pretty much most people accept the Romani was of Aryan/Dravidian stock. The Ashkali claim they are Egyptian and that they were there before the 14th century arrival of the Rom. I know some say that the Hakalija are born of the craftmen and supply routes that Hephaesteus set up for Ozymandius (Alexander the Great) and they are born of his stock of workers and craftsmen; some of the finest of Egypt.

Might a good mix of these be from Egypt, that loved Alexander, Persia, and India and had the crafts they were well known for. They have connection to all three, Egypt, Persia, and "Gypsies," though they generally hold themselves to be from Persia. Egypt was part of Persia at that time, and easily a good few ten thousand people from Persia flooded to Egypt during the inclusion of it the Empire of Persia. Then this dominion fell to Alexander in the 4th Century (331 B.C.). He strolled right in and took it from the Persian Mazaces, who was in charge of this part of the Persian Empire. No one died and he basically *bought* the authority. He grabbed up Egyptians, Persians and other inhabitants and kept moving right along. Before long, he was in the Balkans. Eventually, he claimed everything Persia had.

So, the claimed background of the Ashkali actually does show a connection of the possibility of both, them being from Persia, and ALSO Egypt. This is so because "Egypt" was the part of Persia's Empire they would be from, and it also demonstrates that Alexander the Great leading them to what is now Kosovo almost 1,000 years before the Rom show up. It perfectly reconciles all the claims, with the exception that they apply to the Ashkali "gypsies" and not the Rom. The trick is, these often interbreed, so it could be said one element of their culture is CERTAINLY true, in a fashion.

Except connecting them to Tarot, or the Images that inspire the deck. Is there even a way to do such a thing? I think so. All of this was reclaimed by Rome much later, and thus the claim that this is Italian and Greco-Roman hold true as well. It is a actually possibly a reconciliation of seemingly competing Tarot theories, some of what have seemingly been disproven, going as far back as Antoine DeGeblin.

I am still looking into this, and encourage criticism, inspiration, guidance, encouragement, or evidence! This is my first foray into the history of the Tarot beyond the 19th century. I have read 1/2 a book on it, and it seems a bit light on some details as to what makes someone "Italian". Pythagoras of Samos built his Acadamia Mathematekoi (Academy of Mathematicians) in what is now southern Italy. Does that make him "Italian?" Am I onto something new, or is this all addressed elsewhere?

Cerulean

The Historical Research Forum

with KariRoad's thread 'Is the Tarot Pre-Christian?' might help.

The documented use of a kind of Bolognese playing card deck shows up in Leland's accounts of Magdalena, a gypsy woman, around 1900.

But trumps or majors seem to be a Renaissance rediscovery if we accept Dummett and Decker. I will link to KariRoad's thread later if you cannot find it.

Cerulean

-