Tarot as a Collectible

FaireMaiden

Am seeking a book that embraces Tarot as a Collectible-- to include the decks, the dates, the prices/value, etc... {Am not interested in books about tarot's history, nor how to read the cards, etc.}

Anything like that out there in the world???

Papageno

I don't believe such a catalogue exists, at least not a formally published one.
There are catalogues for almost everything else. If someone decided to publish one it would be interesting to see how that affects prices.
There are quite a number of people who are obviously in a position to do so (hint hint) by virtue of their knowledge base, but it would be an enormous undertaking.

yaraluna

the owner of a pagan shop in town has a catalogue like that. i don't know if it has ALL the tarots, but it has many. it is a catalogue for him to order for his shop but it shows retail prices etc. you may want to contact the big deck makers such as Lewellyn, LoScarabeo , US Games, etc.

yara

Annabelle

Well, there's Stuart Kaplan's Encyclopedia of Tarot, volumes I, II, III, and IV. Those are, collectively, one of the primary and most well-respected sources that tarot collectors refer to for information about a HUGE variety of decks. Though the Encyclopedia does not list prices or market values, it does contain excellent information about the dates, origins, influences, etc. of different decks. It also contains an astounding number of pictures - for many decks, the black and white photos of the entire major arcana are included.

As for original price data, current market values, etc., you can discuss those matters with a number of the world's major collectors right here, on Aeclectic. You can also ask the wonderful folks at Tarot Garden.

jmd

I suspect that, unlike philately, coins and other currency collecting, Tarot decks are not a huge volume in comparison, and their dating imprint relatively modest.

Such a list would be wonderful to have, and suspect that but only a few people have the collection that would make the task not too difficult to 'begin' - of one these would be Gerbear, another would be Frank Jensen (who has, as far as I am aware, the most complete collection of 20th century decks).

Papageno

jmd said:
I suspect that, unlike philately, coins and other currency collecting, Tarot decks are not a huge volume in comparison, and their dating imprint relatively modest.

Such a list would be wonderful to have, and suspect that but only a few people have the collection that would make the task not too difficult to 'begin' - of one these would be Gerbear, another would be Frank Jensen (who has, as far as I am aware, the most complete collection of 20th century decks).

unfortunately the most difficult aspects of such a publication would be keeping on top of the auction prices, in this case Ebay since tarot doesn't generally hit the mainstream offline auction circuit other than (possibly) estate sales. and then you have the private sales to take into consideration, more likely than not, those prices will not be disclosed.
even in other arenas of the collecting world published prices are often only a rough guideline and don't reflect reality.
and I also suspect that tarot prices are more volatile and would reveal a much larger spread than what you would see in other collectibles.

FaireMaiden

Thanks to all for yer answers, *s*... 'Twouldst seem that a 'Tarot Collectible's Book' wouldst be a collectible itself in future... especially since tarot is becoming more and more mainstream acceptable...