Tarot Card Kings, Knights and Princes

KiNoRonin

Awens to All:

I have been studying the Magicka School's Lesson on Astrology and the Tarot and the Lesson I am studying shows that there differences between the Rider/Waite Decks and the Wang/Cicero Decks.

In the Rider/Waite Tarot, the Higher Court Cards are called Kings, Queens, Knights and Pages. In the Wang/Cicero Tarot, their Higher Court Cards are called Kings, Queen, Princes, and Princesses.

In the Lesson, it states that Meanings of the Rider/Waite King Cards correspond to the Meanings of the Wang/Cicero Prince Cards. And the Rider/Waite Knight Cards (which is the equivalent of the Wang/Cicero Prince Card) corresponds to Wang/Cicero King Cards.

The only Tarot Deck that I have that uses Princes and Princesses instead of the Rider/Waite Knight and Pages is my Light and Shadow Tarot Deck, so I will be writing an analysis of how the Meanings Correspond between my Rider/Waite King Cards correspond to my Light and Shadow Prince Cards. And I will be writing an analysis of how the Meanings of my Rider/Waite Knight Card correspond to my Light and Shadow King Cards.

I have done this as my Research Project for the Lesson that I am presently studying for my next Magicka School Advance Tarot Exam.

Here is the Paranormality.com's Meaning for the King of Cups:
"Divinatory meaning
Upright - A person who commands respect, but not love. A man of business or law, considerate and responsible. He is kind but ambitious and a skilled negotiator. He is a born manipulator, someone who has arrived in a position of power by the use of brain as opposed to brawn. He avoids taking people into his confidence and often works in secret or behind the scenes. He is a seeker of power, with hidden motives, often distrusted or feared by those around him."

Here is an exerpt from my Kim Huggens Tarot Course on the King of Cups:
"The King of Cups becomes a healer, somebody who gives us advice in times of trouble and who can help us understand our own emoitons. This card can represent healing and guidance, or the need to keep one's head above water and not let one' emotions overwhelm."

And here is the Meaning of the Prince of Cups from my Light and Shadow Deck:
"The Prince, the most robust of the princes, can be forceful, fierce, furious. He can be a steadfast protector and champion, for his lotus mean holiness and birth. The Prince of Cups expresses the water element in its most masculine guise: proud, potent, assertive, self-assured. The swordfish is supple, but fearsome in countenance, just as the prince's dynamism approaches burliness. Even so, the Prince may have his warlike moods, but he is steadfast in his championing the high ideals embodied in his Sacred Lotus."

So while Paranormality.com says that the King of Cups avoids taking people into his confidence, the other two meanings do not. And in the Kim Huggens meaning of the King of Cups, she mentions him as a Fatherly Figure who give Guidance and Healling. The only mention of any sort of such Nurturing in the Light and Shadow Deck is the fact that the Prince of Cups Champions Birth. Both the Paranormality and Huggens meanings say nothing of Violence or War, the Light and Shadow Deck states that the Prince of Cups has his Warlike Moods.

In this case, I dont think the Rider/Waite King of Cups corresponds very well with the Light and Shadow Prince of Cups.

==========================================

Here is the Paranormality Meaning of the King of Wands:
"A charming, responsible, loyal, entertaining, witty, honest, conscientious and generous person. A lover of the home and family life. A very passionate and virile man who is good at moral support and encouragement. When pushed or provoked he acts without hesitation, but can sometimes find this hard as he can often see both sides of an argument."

Here is the Huggens Meaning for the King of Wands:
"This person is always on the go, and is the life and soul of the Party. They are sociable and live life to the full, but often they have streaks of pride, snobbery, and egotism. Very much a Prince Charming figure, the King of Wands like to play up to the opposite sex, likes to flirt, and considers himself God's Gift to Woman/Men. The King of Wands represents passion, life and sould of the party, flirt, egotism, haste rashness, warmth, friendliness, action, feisty, sexual, individual."

I think the two above meanings are fairly similar to each other in a lot of respects.

In the Light and Shadow Deck, the meaning of the Prince of Wands is:
"The Prince of Wands enjoys the dignity and regal pressence of the noble lion (which appears on the card). He hold his powers in check, though, preferring the feline restraint oft he great cat to its forcefulness. Like the lion, he doe not believe in wasted movement and will not be hurried. He encourages balance and even-handedness. He is a true navigator; his double staves help find the best route, the right path."

In this case, while the Rider/Waite and Huggens meanings state the the King of Wands represents a Flamboyant Character, the Light and Shadow Deck meaning states that he is a more Balance and Reserved Character.

Once again, the meanings dont match up, in my opinion.

============================================

Here is the Paranormality meaning for the King of Pentacles:
"A loyal and dependable leader who is neither particularly intelligent or imaginative. He is trustworthy, patient, cautious and uses his inborn wisdom to increase his wealth. He is slow to lose his temper, but once angered he stands rigid against his enemies."

And here is the Huggens meaning for the King of Pentacles:
"As the Ruler of Earthly Matters and Money, the King of Pentacles can be seen as a Business Man. He wishes to be able to provide for his family or he wishes to be able to afford the luzuries in life such as a nice house, car, or a large book collection. Often he is likened to the Greek God of Wine Dionysus, because of his Love of life, luxury, food and wine. In this sense, the King of Pentacles is a merry sould, finding enjoyment in everything. He represents practicality, sold foundations, giver, humour, gifts, money, business, luxury, and enjoyment."

The only similarities in those meanings is the Kings Wisdom to increase his Wealth and having good Money Sense.

In the Light and Shadow Deck, the Prince of Pentacles meaning is:
"The Prince of Pentacles is master of serenity. He appreaciates the quiet pleasures of nature, of rich flowery meadows. Life the placid Bison (pictured on the card), he has no trouble taking his ease. His are the virtues of impertubability, equanimity, and peace. Slow to rouse hiself to action, even slower to anger, the prince and his companion beast are fully capable, when call upon, to demonstrate their great strength and steadfastness."

In regards to the being slow to anger, the Light and Shadow Prince and the Paranormality King are similar. And in regards to enjoying the pleasures of life, the Prince is similar to the Huggens King. In this case, I would say the Light and Shadow Deck Prince is fairly similar to the Rider/Waite King of Pentacles.

===============================================

This is Paranormality's meaning for the King of Swords.:
"This king is certainly a ruler. This man is a law-maker, someone with a rational, alert and inventive mind. An advocate of law and order, and modernity to the expense of tradition. He has a tendency to be somewhat overcautious and leaves on project quickly to start on another. A man of independent judgment and an achiever in what he does."

In the Huggens meanings, the King of Swords goes:
"The King of Swords can be seen as impetuous, active, and especially active when it comes to his mind: when he starts thinking about something, he will follow that through to the conclusion, and often take action in it as well. However, he often has the tendency to take action too quickly, before he has thought things through properly. He does not take criticism well, and if someobdy else disagrees with his ideas he takes it as a personal insult instead of a chance to improve his idea. This card can indicate a blockage, boss, quarrelsome stubborn authority figure. Competition, wit, ideas, thought, minds, and fights with words."

In regards to the Kings of Swords taking actions too quickly before thinking them through, the two above meanings have some similarities. But they do agree that the King of Swords is an achiever of what he does.

The Light and Shadow Deck Prince of Swords meaning is:
"The Prince of Swords is a fierce, crusading character. At its best, his crusade is of the highest moral order. But the Prince also must choose, as the good and bad angels had to choose, where to focus his energies , which battle to fight, whether to wield his sword for good or will. The Prince of Swords imparts gifts of movement and change. Life the eagle (pictured on the card), the Prince concentrates on his goal and flies toward it straight as a shot arrow. Power of scrutiny, judgement, focus are his and the stamina to pounce forcefully on the target that his insight reveals."

Of all four of the above sets of Meanings, I think the Light and Shadow Deck meaning for the Prince of Swords is the most similar to that of the Kings.

===================================

Here is the Meaning of the Light and Shadow King of Cups Card:
"The King of Cups bring ease, confidence, conviviality, emotional maturity. If individualized, the card suggests a courtly sophisticated, cultivated person, fluent in the ways of culture, languages and the arts. An insightful adult, a wise counselor and advisor.

And here is the Paranormality meaning for the Knight of Cups:
"Change and new excitements, particularly of a romantic nature. invitations, opportunities, and offers. A person who is a bringer of ideas, opportunities and offers. He is often constantly bored and in constant need of stimulation, but also artistic and refined. A person who is amiable, intelligent full of high principals, but a dreamer who can be easily led or discouraged."

Here my Huggens Meaning for the Card:
"Knight represent motion and change. Whenever a Knight appears in a reading it means that long erm conditions are going to come to an end. You may soon have the opportunity to branch out into new worlds, advance through education, or just get away form your routine. You are advancing toward your goals. Follow youor instinct, and expect positive changes and a fresh start."

All three Meanings to point to well rounded Educations and Knowledge in many Cultures

Also, the Light and Shadow's statement about being a Wise Advisor does correlate with the Paranormality's statement about the Knight beign a person who is a bringer of ideas opportunity, and offers.

I think this set of cards works.

===========================================

Here is the Light and Shadow meaning for the King of Swords:
"His Flame lights his way to insight and understanding through the shadows of passion and confusion. The King can thus be Wise and Penetrating, but he can also be impulsive and aggressive. The King of Wands marshals fiery forces of change, movement, volatility, victory. If personified, the king will appear as a forceful, ambitious, successful person."

In Paranormality, the meaning for the King of Wands is:
"A lover of action, this is the card of someone who has a well-liked, energetic, confident, but sometimes unpredictable nature. He has an engaging temperament and his actions sometimes a little swift do tend to make sense with hindsight."

Kim Huggens's meaning for the Knight of Wands goes like this:
"The Knight of Wands is the Luke Skywalker of the Court Cards: he wants to go on adventures, he wants excitement, but most of all he wants to find out where his place in the Universe is. It could indicate a young person who is going through that searching phase. The Knight is a Seeker, bravery, headstrong, hasty, courage, searching for individuality."

In this case, I find the meanings as being considerably similar. There is mention in all three meanings aobut someone who is into finding Excitement and Ambition.

=======================================

The Light and Shadow meaning for the King of Pentacles is:
"Peace, composure, restfulness, and tranquility. A confident, serene person, secure in his powers, who does not need to prove himself. A keen observer of nature, one who appreciates the simple profundity of leaf and flower. A person who is down to earth, practical and endowed with genuine common sense."

The Paranormality meaning for the Knight of Pentacles:
"An impassive, indifferent and stoical person, who does not always appreciate the feelings of others. A very traditional person who is clever in monetary affairs, patient and hardworking."

Both meanings do show someone who is comfortable in being by himself.

The Huggens meaning for the Knight of Pentacles:
"His quest is one of earthly matters, and so he desires wealth, luxury, and friendship. It does indicate a time when the querent is moving towards their goal slowly but surely. Faithful, honest, steadfast, loyal, stubborn, dull towards goal, blinkered, un-moved, good friends."

I find that there are more similarities between the Light and Shadow King of Pentacles meaning and the Paranormality Meaning for the Knight of Pentacles then for the Huggens meaning. Both the Light and Shadow and Paranormality agree that it indicates a Stoical Individual who feels comfortable on their own unlike how Huggens proclaims it indicating Good Friendships.

========================================

And here is meaning for the Light and Shadow King of Swords:
"The King of Swords rides the wind, an Alexander or a Napoleon of new ideas. The King of Swords summons up forces of alteration, transformation, and change. The king's influence fosters leadership and forcefulness but also idealism and enthusiasm."

Here is Paranormality's meaning for the Knight of Swords:
"A clever, skillful and active person, courageous and strong, always at his best in a difficult situation. He may have a tendency to dominate and depending upon surrounding cards, his movement may be either in or out of the querent's life for either better or worse. He is the archetypal warrior."

And here is Huggens meaning for the Knight of Swords:
"He goes where angels fear to tread, a bit like the Knight of Wands who will also try anything at least once and is keen for adventure. He often rushes into arguements and quarrels without thinking. He is the type of person who would sign up for the army in times of war simply because he wants to go fight something. Often it represents a young person who is searching for something in their life to 'fight for'. It indicates impetuousness, search for knowledge, and randomness, rushing headlong, 'where angels fear to tread', conviction, crusade, swiftness."

I find that the Light and Shadow's meaning of Alexander and Napoleon and fostering leadership and forcefullness corresponds well with the Huggens mention of someone young who is looking for a new ideal to work for. All three mentions Archtypical Warriors. I find that all three meaning correspond with each other considerably well.

There is something that I found rather interesting on Paranormality. Each of the Knight meanings state something about being a King of the Sacred Element that correlates to them.

For Knight of Cups:
"The Lord of the Waves and the Waters; The King of the Hosts of the Sea"

For Knight of Wands:
"The Lord of the Flame and the Lightening; The King of the Spirits of Fire"

For Knight of Pentacles:
"The Lord of the Wild and Fertile Land; The King of the Spirits of Earth"

For Knight of Swords:
"Lord of the Winds and the Breezes; King of the Spirits of Air"

So in conclusion:

I found that most of the Rider/Waite Knights meanings do have quite a lot of good similarities to the Light and Shadow King Meanings, but only about 1 or maybe 2 Light and Shadow Prince meanings have similarities to the Rider/Waite King meanings.

It the Light and Shadow meanings are similar to the classic Wang and Cicero Tarot Decks, then the resultant meaning should correspond accordingly.

One day, I might have to have a look at a Cicero Deck and analyse it.

But for me, I find myself feeling more comfortable in my Reading Results Accuracy by using the Rider/Waite System only for my Readings.

Whenever I do a Reading with my Light and Shadow Deck, I use the Rider/Waite Meanings instead of the Light and Shadow Book that comes with that particular type of Deck.

TheDruid-3X3