Tarot card postage

canid

I was wondering if the same discounted rate that applies to books & other reading materials would apply to a tarot deck. I mean, after all, they do get read. I'm going to ask my postal doode this morning. I did discover that if you split a deck into thirds & mail them separately in 3 small envelopes it's less postage.

Le Fanu

canid said:
I did discover that if you split a deck into thirds & mail them separately in 3 small envelopes it's less postage.

oh dear... three times the chances of one package getting lost and making the deck entirely useless...

I think I'd rather lose all 78 cards in one go than receive two packages of 26 cards...

The crowned one

For mail in Canada, or to the USA a 6x9 number 0 bubble wrap envelope will pass Canada posts "slot test" if you divide the deck in 1/2 and flatten the box( obviously this only works for boxes that can be flattened without damage :) ) Wrap both 1/2 decks in plastic wrap and slip everything neatly and flatly into the envelope. You post will go from 15.00 down to about 2.00 :)

Some one on Ebay just did it for me, saved me enough for a six pack of good ale. I have done it here and never had a problem.

motsa

I did that for a deck I sent to Australia -- split the deck into three piles, flattened the box, added a couple of pieces of cardboard for stiffness, and still managed to make a package thin enough to meet the regular first class mail dimension limits. The concern was less the dimensions than the weight, though.

nisaba

I;'m in Austgralia and I've received a lot of parcels of decks from America, usually a minimum of two decks and for preference three or more, and I pay a shirtload in postage. However. That's still better than not being able to get specific decks which local new age shops can't source.

My parcels tend to come in all sorts of shapes: long and thin, almost a perfect cube, and everywhere between. Shape doesn't seem to alter the costs a whole lot.

The crowned one

nisaba said:
My parcels tend to come in all sorts of shapes: long and thin, almost a perfect cube, and everywhere between. Shape doesn't seem to alter the costs a whole lot.

As I said in my first post, if you can get int into a 6x9 number 0 bubble wrap envelope and under about 3/4 inch in thickness it makes a huge difference in cost. For some it might make or break what they can afford. ( I'm just cheap.)
For example I was quoted 14.00 for post from Ont. to BC for a single deck but the lady took it upon herself to break the deck down and put it into a number "o" bubble wrap. I got an E-mail form her saying post had just dropped to 2.50. a pleasant surprise and appreciated. Perhaps it is only from Canada to other countries these savings can be realized, but it is worth our fellow Canadians here knowing, and can't hurt to check in other countries. :)

minrice

canid said:
I was wondering if the same discounted rate that applies to books & other reading materials would apply to a tarot deck. I mean, after all, they do get read. I'm going to ask my postal doode this morning. I did discover that if you split a deck into thirds & mail them separately in 3 small envelopes it's less postage.

Oh wow you have nerves of steel Canid! I don't think I would have the guts to do that, I'd be too scared something would be lost...
It bites you can't use media mail for tarot decks. I could have sworn at some point the P.O. weighed small items like decks to determine a priority mail cost. Now they just state that it's $4.95 for flat rate priority shipping. Was it ever like this or did I just imagine it?

canid

That's just too weird because my post office's flat rate priority is $7 something! I even tell them I want to ship this the cheapest way possible! The deck I sent in thirds arrived safely but I did have my fingers crossed. And I did ask my postal doode (who reads tarot himself-he loves the Gilded I gave him) about using the 'book' rate, or whatever they call it, & he said he's tried asking himself & the answer was no, it doesn't apply to tarot decks.

AJ

If it is just mailing costs you are concerned with, one deck can always ship first class for about $2.00, and gets there faster. As fast as Priority certainly. Media is less expensive because it goes on space available basis. Not much of a concern in mid summer, a huge concern around mailing holidays.

And with the US postal service in trouble financially, they will ship the paying parcels way sooner than the media.