Tarot cards as "Items"

xKam

I have a quick question and searching the forum hasn't narrowed down much.

I was wondering what would the King of Cups represent as an item in a box?

I have NO idea what tarot cards represent as items/tangible objects.

Can anyone help with this? Even broad ideas that I can narrow down with my own research will help. :)

Thank you...

rwcarter

Look at the card itself for clues. The King is probably wearing clothes, so maybe some men's clothing? He wears a crown, so maybe some man's jewelry (or else it would have been the Queen Cups)? He's a water card and usually holds or has a cup near him, so maybe some liquid item in a container (man's cologne, for example).

Hopefully that will get you started.

Rodney

xKam

Thank you Rodney for your response! I was initially thinking that... I found a thread for lost items that said sometimes you have to stop looking at the traditional meaning and look at the symbolism within the card itself. Hmm... I think I'll pull out my other decks I have and look at the different versions of the King of Cups.

:)

Om_Vanya

I have often seen this King representing someone who is intersted in the arts and science- so maybe art? or a "scientific" toy?
a man of the cloth (not so much as the heirophant though) - maybe a religous item. I have also associated him with healers and counselors- maybe something that heals. Just a thought.

xKam

Om_Vanya -- that's interesting! I did not see that connection at all... after taking Rodney's thoughts into consideration, I was actually wondering if it was a picture of a man. Or a profession that is "for men".

For some reason... beach-like items came up, as my favorite deck RDW has the King of Cups seated on the sand with the sea behind him. I got the idea of a ship in a bottle as well...

PAMUYA

Something in a box: King of Cups, my first thought was what Rodney recomended. Another thing that popped in my mind was that this King although a Cup (Cups are about emotions, unlike a pentacle/coin which would be an object), this king does not show his feelings(like the Knight), he keeps his emotions buried. This thing in the box will be thoughtful, but not provoke a deep emotional responce.

WalesWoman

Something in a box that is King Cups?

For some reason Sade's "Your love is King." popped into my head as I was reading your question and that prompted another question is it coming from a King of Cups and represents an expression of his feelings? Something that would show he is the master of his feelings and wants to stake his claim?