tarot companion

truthsayer

i found this book "tarot companion: an essential reference guide(includes symbolism guide) by tracy porter. i bought it b/c it seemed to simplify symbolism often used in tarot like the cabalah, numerology, runes, and i ching that i can't seem to get the hang of. i can recommend it as a good book for a beginner b/c the info is short, sweet and to the point. the chapters are short and most of the text is broken up into highlighted title paragraphs so you can easily just go to the section you want w/o reading a whole chapter.

my main complaint is that the sacred circle is used on the cover yet the rws is the deck used in the book. probably something a publisher who didn't have the foggiest idea on the difference b/t decks insisted on using. when i first saw the book i thought,"oh, goody! a book that uses decks other than rws." wrong-o!!!!!!!! i was disappointed in that but the book is good overall.

SherryZoned

I have that book too!! I do like it for the easy reference..

Minderwiz

Yes, I have this book and use it quite a lot. For those using the Rider Waite Colman, she differs from Waite's interpretation on the meanings of several cards of the same number or several court cards of the same rank. Novices might find this a little awkward but I actually prefer her views to his.

It's well worth having

Best wishes

Minderwiz

Kiama

I enjoyed this book alot aswell. I really liked looking through the links between Runes and Tarot, tho some of the Runes Porter linked to the cards I wasn't sure I would have put like that...

Kiama

Ruby

I know this has been a quiet thread for a while but as I've been away a while too I hope I can be forgiven for only just jumping in...?

I'm finding the 'Tarot Companion' with the symbolism dictionary section to be a great quick reference help while I'm working on designing images for The Wraeththu Tarot. I consider myself very much a symbolist artist anyway so I find the whole secret language of Tarot facinating. I can also recommend that if you are designing tarot images to get hold of any of the numerous books on the 'symbols in Art' for inspiration too.

Bests, Ruby.

divinerguy

I too, have this book. I think its one of the better reference guides on the market.

In particular, I like the explanation of multiple cards in draws.

Jewel

~makes note to add book to library~

Ruby I love the deck you are designing. It is wonderful to have tarot artists share how they have chosen their images and symbology. I really look forward to seeing your deck completed. Perhaps you would like to make a post in the Tarot Deck forum about your deck, I am sure you would get a lot of interesting feedback and interest in your deck.

Ruby

Thanks Jewel!

When I put some more Wraeththu Tarot images up (sooon!), I'll definitely let you guys here know as I'd really appreciate your feedback :)

Ruby (who really must get around to introducing herself properly someday...)

mercenary30

Interesting that the only reference I can find for this book is this old....so I will dig it out of the back of the closet and post.

I recently purchased this book, and I am not very happy with it at all. It was a spontanious purchase, and I wish I would have seen Solandia's review before I bought it.

The chapter for the card meanings is titles "Traditional Meanings" and only in half of the cards does she have remedial meaning of a traditional nature and then followed up with some off the wall thing that might have been applicable once in a reading.

Then there was a symbol dictionary, and I found most of that to be only partially accurate.

That is it!! That is how I sum this book up....Partially accurate, remedial tarot reference companion.

At this point I am going to keep reading, although I have skipped a couple of sections already. I most certainly won't be keeping this with my tarot cards when I am done. I don't even know who I could give it to, because half of the information is just not right. How could I pass along this book to someone, even a newbie, with a good conscious, knowing that it is not useful???

Eden Gray's book may have been boring and remedial, but at least it was accurate!!!

kislany

Just got it today in the post. I see there are pretty mixed oppinions on it, so I am now really curious whether i will like it or not...