Tarot de Marseille version from Argentina

jackdaw*

I won a deck on eBay thinking it was something else. Now I don't know anything about this deck! Can anyone help me?

It is called Tarot de Marsella, but it is not the Spanish version with the deep gold background I was thinking. The publishing company is Joker S.A., and it also says "Industria Argentina" (I assume that means "made in" Argentina; I can't read Spanish). There is no year of publication that I can see on the box or on the Spanish LWB.

It is in a deep green box with text in white. The Star is on the front, the Hermit on the back. Titles are in French. The Two of Cups has a blank red space on the bottom where a manufacturer's name would be ordinarily, and the Two of Coins has a blue scroll around the coins with a little bit of decorative stuff but again, no names or dates.

The main colours on the deck seem to be white and a pale sand colour (skin tones are also applied in this shade), deep blue, deep red and deep yellow. Lines are very clear. The backs are a very pale plaid or check pattern with browns and greens. The cardstock is pretty good quality. The size is slightly smaller in height and width than a standard Lo Scarabeo deck (I have compared it to the Secret).

There is a LWB which is all in Spanish and says on the front/back only "Tarot de Marsella" and "Editado por JOKER SAIC Republica Argentina". It is about 20 pages long, on wider pages than a standard LWB; these are two columns wide and folded so that it is 40 pages of text on pages slightly smaller than a standard LWB. (confusing, I realize)

I would post scans, but I'm afraid I don't have posting privileges. I am thinking that it is a relatively cheap recolouring of someone's redrawing of the deck, but would like to know more information. I know this may not be a lot to go on, but does anyone know more about this?

QueenofPentacles

jmd

Perhaps to help with the style, it may be useful to also know if the front of Chariot has any initials.

If you send me a couple of scans (perhaps of the Papess, the Hanged Man and the Knight of Batons), I'll add them for others to see.

jackdaw*

Hi jmd,

I've sent you some scans (hope they come through okay). As soon as they have been sent I realized I didn't send the Papess, but did send a few other cards. If you'd like the Papess in particular, let me know :)

jmd

I have attached the images sent.

At first view, these look to me a copy of Marteau (note the 'S[aul] M[arteau] initials on the Chariot).

It would be interesting to know when the cards were printed. Judging from the box, I would suggest a likely post 1975 date.

What would also be interesting is knowing the relation between Joker publications and Grimaud, and whether the former obtained copyright license from them before or after Grimaud sold out in the mid-1960s.

An interesting standard re-publication of the Grimaud deck, and a nice one without the side 'copyright' imprints that have appeared on the Grimaud cards since at least 1963.

Attachments

• XXI-XII-VII.jpg
    XXI-XII-VII.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 225
  • I-D2-C2.jpg
    I-D2-C2.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 187
  • CA-BC-DV.jpg
    CA-BC-DV.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 185
  • B3-E6.jpg
    B3-E6.jpg