Tarot de Marseilles by Waddington (?)

adsellars

Just got this deck off ebay.
Only the 22 trump cards, titles are in French only (Death has no name just his number). Cards have B.P. Grimund on the cards but no date (like other Grimauds I have which have 1969 on them). However the Moon, Sun and Tower do not have B.P. Grimaud on them at all. The numbers are in Roman numerals.
Card stock is quick think and the backs are a form of blue and white check - pattern goes right to the edge of the card.
The cards came with a little(!) orange book with the words Major Arcana on the front and at the bottom of the back page it says "printed by John Waddington Ltd, Leeds and London". They are not in thier original box.
The book implies that it accompanied only the Trumps cards as it suggests that "for beginners, it is easier to start the art of fortune telling with the Major Arcana, and having learnt the simpler methods, then acquire a full set of cards so that the deepest mysteries of the Tarot can then be explored".
Any ideas on when these were printed

Cheers

Andrew

Patrick Booker

I have this deck - one of my first (I think it was my first, actually). My copy is in the original box, but here are no dates given. I think that I purchased it some time in the 1960s, although it could have been the early 1970s. I have the orange booklet, and the Moon, Sun and Tower lack 'B. P. GRIMAUD'. I also have the full Grimaud deck (with English titles), which seems to have lighter colouring for the flesh. The full deck has 'B. P. GRIMAUD 1963' on the images, and a little booklet showing 1969 copyright, and also a later date of 1973.

Patrick