Tarot Experiement for People with Multiple Decks

Rede Seeker

If you own multiple decks - have you noticed that cards that 'ping' for you in one deck don't in others? Any thoughts as to why - other than the obvious artwork differences?

Here's my list:
1. Traditional Rider-Waite-Smith: High Priestess
2. Gothic Tarot: Star and Hermit
3. Forest Folk Lore: 8 of Wands
4. Universal Fantasy: Too many to count - 3 of Cups; 3 of Swords; 10 of Pentacles; Ace of Wands; Death; etc
5. Vikings Tarot: Judgement/Ragnarok

My theory is that it's the World View each deck represents and that we can learn much of ourselves and those we read for by comparing the cards that 'ping' for us in each deck.

WoodSorrel

I own multiple decks-and have owned many more, I have a habit of giving them away...
I tend to read intuitively, and therefore find that different cards in different decks resonate differently to me.

There may be several reasons, firstly, the artist's intentions: I believe this goes a long way. Reading the companion books, one finds that no two authors define their cards in exactly the same way, and I find their own(the authors) beliefs, prejudices, likes/dislikes, etc. have a huge bearing on their cards.

Secondly: the actual pictures/symbolism on the cards. I believe symbolism is a personal experience. It's all about what the symbol means for you. Example: a picture of a dog may to one person,a dog lover, bring up feelings of love, loyalty and happiness. The picture may remind them of a loving happy companion they either had or wish to have. However, to the next person, if they do not like dogs and have been attacked/badly bitten by one, the same image may conjure great fear, and a picture of an uncontrollable beast who smells bad, poos everywhere, druels, inflicts pain and suffering and may be dirty/carrying a disease.
Therefore: context is important, as is personal reactiopn to the artwork.

As another note, I have had experiences with court cards of certain decks looking a lot like actual people in my life. Example: in the Sacred Circle Tarot, the King of Pentacles looks exactly like my ex-partner. In that deck, that cards almost always represents him. The similarity is uncanny and a little creepy. However, in most other decks, he shows up as the King of Swords, whos attributes are more like his personality. Note: Thankfully, he hasn't been showing up much lately!

I've found a lot of it also down to gut reaction to the cards. Example: in most decks I totally love the Strength card. Rider-Waite, Crow's Magick, Medicine Woman: easily my favorite card. Sacred Circle I like it too, but it's a little different. But Thoth... well the Lust card is not my favorite there and when I pull it my emotional reaction is markedly different than it is to other decks.

That's the beginnings of my opinions, of course I'm always learning. Interested to hear other's opinions as well.

I should add: so yes, different cards ping me from different decks.