Tarot is a trademark?

the_surfacer

I'm not a lawyer, but the only way that could possibly make any sense to me is if they're referring to the game for the phone. Presumably it's trademarked in that context, so that anyone else wanting to make such a phone program would have to use a different term -- at least, I hope that's what any sane court would decide was intended.

LTG2201

From the UK Copyright Service:

Names, titles and phrases do not qualify for copyright protection.

You may however still be able to register a logo which combines the words with design elements, as this would be eligible for copyright protection as a design work, (the actual words themselves are not covered).

la-luna

Well I’m not a lawyer but from what I know from my job at the Belgian Office for intellectual Property (who’s also handling trademarks) the only way they could take a trademark on “Tarot” is linked to a very specific product that’s not identical to the original
(For example a perfume could be named champagne – which one exists).
But of course as in this situation where the product they have is not identical but linked to the Tarot (as a word) they trademark could be challenged before local, European/USA court and eventually even before the WIPO (World Intellectual Property Office).

Lillie

It's nonsense.

as has been said, they can copyright their game. They can even write the word tarot in a particular way and have that trademarked.

But they cannot own the word tarot.

It's older than they are.

Crowqueen

It refers to the game and its logo.

Relax! I think we might have heard if they'd tried to force US Games, Lo Scarabeo etc etc etc into some kind of legal situation.

Looks pretty cool though, I wish I had the kind of phone which could support it!

NightWing

Trademark Absurdity

The word "tarot" can no more be an exclusive trademark in and of itself than the words "poker" or "bridge"! IMHO, of course. :)