Tarot of Eden and cards meaning

mashenka1976

My favorite deck is Tarot of Eden. I learned about Tarot using it.

As I am learning more and more about Tarot, I am noticing that card meanings differ vastly between decks.
For example, in Tarot of Eden 5 of cups means very good news about emotional life: existing relatinship will improve, great partner, joy of love. But in RW classical deck, 5 of cups is anything but happy.
3 of swords in Tarot of Eden is an exciting news that requires quick attention, leading to lively debates. In other decks, this card is al about heartbreaking news.

In Tarot of Eden, there is no concept of reversed cards - this deck consideres only one meaning for each card. It states that is does not matetr how the card fell - the meaning is the same. But in so many other decks, RX are always considered.

In your readings, do you stay with traditional meanings of the cards (as set in the 78 degrees of Wisdom, f.e.), regardless of which deck you are using, or do you use the interpretation that particular deck gives you?
Thank you for sharing your wisdom

nisaba

In your readings, do you stay with traditional meanings of the cards (as set in the 78 degrees of Wisdom, f.e.), regardless of which deck you are using, or do you use the interpretation that particular deck gives you?
I work on the pictures in front of me, mediated by my experience. Some decks I read quite differently to others for that reason - it's silly to talk about happy-happy-joy-joy when there is a picture of a person suffering in front of you, for example.

I've never seen this particular deck, but what I *can* say is that while it's good to learn on just one deck, it's also good when you have some skills up, to use many different decks. It broadens and deepens your understanding of Tarot, and through that, your understanding of humans. Which is what it is all about.

SloughSister

I'm still enough in the process of learning that I can't bring particular cards to mind for comparison but I can say that, yes, the same card in different decks can have vastly different meanings to me ~ and also from reading to reading. This variety among decks and meanings is part of what makes tarot so very rich and satisfying - the spice of life, and all that. :)

mashenka1976

Nisaba, I like your posts.
In Tarot of Eden deck the pictures for minor arcana numeric cards are just that - 5 of cups is a picture of 5 cups. Therefore, there is no real 'feeling' that comes when I look at it. Certainly nothing like when I look at RW 5 of Cups - a man is full of sorrow, what joy?
So you go more by feelings a particular card evokes in you (and of course, supplemented by your experinece and knowledge of cards)?
Thanks again!

nisaba

Nisaba, I like your posts.
<smile> Thank you.

In Tarot of Eden deck the pictures for minor arcana numeric cards are just that - 5 of cups is a picture of 5 cups. Therefore, there is no real 'feeling' that comes when I look at it.
I have a number of decks like that, with unillustrated pip cards (as we say). You get used to them.

1) You can slavishly memorise the meanings out of the LWB, the leaflet, that came with it. Boring! And not very helpful.

2) You can bring meanings to bear from experiences with decks that have fully illustrated Minor Arcana cards. Better.

3) You can do what I did after a few years of option 2, and come up with your own meanings for each card, based on a simplification of the numerological meaning of the number plus a simplified meaning of the element of hte suit: ie, the Two Pentacles: Twos throughout the deck might mean balance for you, and Pentacles means the material world, so it would encompass everything from keeping our budget balanced to balancing your diet or your home/work life, depending on the context of the reading. This is the system that suits me best - but I've been reading for a while now, and if it's all too daunting, perhaps you can try option 1 or 2 until you feel more confident.

Certainly nothing like when I look at RW 5 of Cups - a man is full of sorrow, what joy?
So you go more by feelings a particular card evokes in you (and of course, supplemented by your experinece and knowledge of cards)?
Thanks again![/QUOTE]

SloughSister

I love nisaba's posts, too!

I can tell you that I have not learned to read decks with non-scenic pips/minors. How much I go by the LWB/book/classic/traditional meaning and how much I go by intuition/imagery seems to vary both with the deck and with each particular reading. There is a whole wide variety of threads about book leaning "vs." intuition.

I put the "vs" in quotes because I also think a great deal of the AT community would state that they regularly use both book learning and intuition, that those overlap happily and that they don't have to choose between them. Some of the conversations even go so far as to probe how human psychology acts in tarot reading. I hope you have a great time looking around current and previous threads :D

mashenka1976

I have been using Tarot for over 2 years, for myself and others, and one thing I notice, is that my overall positive personality seeps into my readings. May be, that is why I picked Tarot of Eden as my 1st deck - with exception of Death and Tower cards, there is no negative meaning associated with virtually any card.

I wonder that if I go by what I FEEL about a card/reading, rather than by traditional meanings (i.e., 2's are about stability (actually, in TOE 2's are not too great - stagnation, blockage)) - all my readings will be way too cheerful. Even when I get Death - I feel, hey, it's not the end, but a transformation into something better, a next loop in an upward spiral. When I get Tower (and that is TOE influence, I am sure), I read it as 'like a giant wave, events will come that sweep away all you do not need, clearing the field for new growth' Yeah, I know - it's always sunny here.

Perhaps, I am not a 'mature' enough Tarot user to attach my meanings to cards.