Tarot of the III Millennium- The Magician

blashamma

Well, I have left my deck back at my apartment, so I will not have it until next week. Therefore I can't really start this properly, but I thought it should be started now. Can someone please put up the quote from the pamphlet for the magician? Thank You.
Well, it's late now, but I wanted to get us started before I went to bed. Tomorrow I'll try and find a picture online of the card so that I have a reference, then I'll try to make a post sometime in the middle of the week when I get back to my apartment.
I apologize to everyone. We're not really getting off to a good start. It's too bad the deck isn't more popular so that we can have many people join in on our study group.
But yes, please feel free to begin commenting without me. leave your thoughts and comments, as well as any ideas about the card of whatever.

FantasyWorld

From LWB
I-The Magician
"I held the world's secret in my hands but when I looked inside of them again I couldn't remember it's meaing". The rational side.

Well, he's wearing a top hat. He has on one boot and one slipper like shoe. He has several odd layers of clothing. His tools sit uptop the table and his wand in his right hand.
Going by the LWB quote from above: Interesting!
He's forgotten the secret and now must seek it again.
Look within ourselves and use what's around us to find the secret, the meaning.

His clothes look silky or satiny. His underdres hanging out on the right side looks Roman.
[size=+1]Is that a Die (dice) on the table next to the dagger???[/size]
Hum...why is his head turned back? He's forgotten the secret and now what? He turn his head in pity or...asking for help?
He's holding part of his clothes in his left hand behind him.
He almost appears as a puppet.

blashamma

Your're right! I never did think of that- turning his head in pity! I remember the quote now. It was one of my favorite quote in the whole pamphlet. I do also remember his whole mis-matchy clothing, though it seems like semi-nice clothing, so he's not a homeless person or anything like how the fool was.

I remember telling a friend of mine who wanted to learn tarot that there are four types of magicians.
There is the type like show magicians such as the ones in Las Vegas and on TV that they do wonderful and miraculous things, but in the back of your head, you know it's just a trick.
Then there is the type that can do real magic, like Merlin or whomever, and they are teachers.
Thirdly, there are the tricksters. They use magic, whether real or fake, in order to trick you. You don't know that it's a trick.
Then there are the magicians who think they have these miraculous powers, but actually they don't and it's just a trick on themselves.

I told her that a magician can be anyone from David Copperfield to a boy in junior high who cons you into giving him your money.

I was just looking at an aweful picture I found on the Internet of this card, and I realized that he looked as if maybe he were putting on a performance, but that he had no audience, which we can see since we're looking from behind. I don't know exactly what that means, but it's something to think about. I do hope I have time later this week to write more on the subject.

April

Here I go a-rambling!

blashamma said:
I told her that a magician can be anyone from David Copperfield to a boy in junior high who cons you into giving him your money.

How true! How much of successful magic is really just our willingness to believe? So which one is this guy? I think he is more of a trickster than a practitioner of any sort of High Magic. And the clothes make him look like a showman.

After looking at him for a while, I've decided that we are the audience. Maybe he's showing us that there's nothing behind his back. The clothes, the props, his stance all suggest a rehearsed show. Like you said, blashamma, people know in the back of their heads that David Copperfield's tricks aren't real, but most people intentionally suspend their disbelief before they watch the show so they can still say, "ooohhhh".

I suppose I get "the irrational side" vs. "the rational side", but what is he talking about. "I held the world's secret in my hands but when I looked inside them again I couldn't remember its meaning." What does that mean, and how does it apply to the interpretation of this card? Any thoughts?

Peace,
April

FantasyWorld

April said:
"I held the world's secret in my hands but when I looked inside them again I couldn't remember its meaning." What does that mean, and how does it apply to the interpretation of this card? Any thoughts?

Peace,
April

I see this as we already have the world's secret inside us, born with it but lose it and need to re-find it. We have all the tools we need within us and that relates to The Magician using tools at hand, etc.

April

FantasyWorld said:
I see this as we already have the world's secret inside us, born with it but lose it and need to re-find it. We have all the tools we need within us and that relates to The Magician using tools at hand, etc.

That makes sense. I guess I've been struggling with the contradiction between what he looks like and what I think he should mean. But I suspect I will run into that more than a few times with this deck.

The "world's secret" is still in his hands, but if he can't remember what it means will he fake it for the audience?

Okay, I just read the little blurb about the Major Arcana in the LWB. "The Major Arcana represent focal points of existance...they indicate great spiritual forces at work or a moment of particular importance..." That might be helpful to me. I don't normally spen much time meditating on cards, but this one's gonna get it.

Excuse me if I've been all over the place with this one.

Peace,
April

blashamma

I apologize for not being very active with this. It wasn't really a good time for me to start a study group. BUt if you want to carry on without me, go ahead. I may chime in when I can, but, well, I am sorry