Tarot of the Thousand and One Nights - 9 of Cups

BrightEye

I drew this card twice the other day (which was a bad day, believe it or not) and thought it must somehow be significant. I'm not sure which tale of the Arabian Nights this card refers to, and I don't think it matters either. It is stunningly beautiful (I think). It shows a gathering of people on the roof of a building overlooking a city, which looks as if it is illuminated by the setting sun. http://taroteca.multiply.com/photos/photo/459/59

I can get the general 9 of cups feel from this card, but I'm interested to hear what others see in it, especially those who work with this deck.

thorhammer

LOL, I think it's beautiful, too, BE! I have it in front of me in the hopes of finding some insight to help you.

I see the 9 of Chalices thing, too, in that these ppl are enjoying the view from their balcony, relishing what they have but not stepping outside the boundaries to discover the wonders and perils of the city below them. Do you read reversals?

I wonder, assuming that you don't, if this doesn't point to some frustration on your part? Did it show up in response to some nebulous sense of loss or lack, of wanting something that you haven't identified yet? Does it suggest a certain pig-headedness in you, that you are so adamant that what you have is great that you won't see the good in what you are offered?

Incidentally, I'll risk stoning and add that I love this deck to pieces. I know it's been recently (and very effectively) de-enabled, due mostly to the tiny images, but I just want to say that it's a surprisingly cohesive deck. It has a definite personality and point to make. I am ever so glad that I have it and hope that you enjoy it as much as I do, BE!

I hope this helps a little with your dilemma!

\m/ Kat

BrightEye

thorhammer said:
Did it show up in response to some nebulous sense of loss or lack, of wanting something that you haven't identified yet?
Yes, it did!! I'm looking for the cause of the unhappiness I keep lugging about with me. There are many obvious things that contribute to it, but if you take all those away and make them right, there's still an underlying sense of unhappiness remaining. I was wondering what it was. The other cards suggested the past and family, almost as if I should turn away from any immediate idea of happiness.
thorhammer said:
I see the 9 of Chalices thing, too, in that these ppl are enjoying the view from their balcony, relishing what they have but not stepping outside the boundaries to discover the wonders and perils of the city below them.
That makes a lot of sense too in the context of my question.

thorhammer

Maybe it's just reflecting that nasty syndrome that accompanies life in a modern world, called "addiction to attraction" where one isn't happy unless we're wanting something, or having something new, or lusting after something out of our universe.

It's ingrained in us by the blighted consumerism of the world. I'd like to think that I'm on my way out of that particular forest, but it's still a long path ahead of me - just look at my profile with the wishlist as long as your arm! I don't have the answer, but I hope that at least considering it as a cause might help lead you to the root. :) Does that have any bearing on you? (Also, you might want to take a totally different tack, one which helps me onc a month, and consider what time of the month it is ;) )

Blessings, \m/ Kat

BrightEye

No, it's not my time of the month. I'm not sure about consumerism either. It seems to be a more deep-seated sadness that I've had for as long as I can remember and that surfaces now and again. For some reason that sadness is also there in that 9 of cups image.

Thirteen

Big picture card!

It's a stunningly beautiful card. And the first thing I thought of was actually the opposite of what Thor came up with. That sometimes we don't take the time to just gaze out and appreciate all that we have...where we live, the riches, the beauty, the luck and abundance. When I see this card, I don't see people who are stuck on a balcony not going out to enjoy the world...I see people who are *always* stuck on the crowded streets below, living in the jostle and crush and rush and worry of that world, who are *finally* seeing things from above rather than below, and getting a whole new perspective on it.

We spend so much time on the ground level, pushing against other folk to get to our jobs, working, fretting over troubles and problems and those "bad days," that we rarely, if ever, take a moment to go up onto the roof and gaze out at, well, our kingdom as it were. To see the beauty of the forest rather than concentrating on the trees, to see the BIG picture rather than all the little stuff.

This, to me, is a "See the big picture!" card. I thing it was advising you to take a glass of wine out onto the balcony, sit with friends, and just gaze out at the world and enjoy.

What a great card.

BrightEye

Thirteen said:
It's a stunningly beautiful card. And the first thing I thought of was actually the opposite of what Thor came up with. That sometimes we don't take the time to just gaze out and appreciate all that we have...where we live, the riches, the beauty, the luck and abundance. When I see this card, I don't see people who are stuck on a balcony not going out to enjoy the world...I see people who are *always* stuck on the crowded streets below, living in the jostle and crush and rush and worry of that world, who are *finally* seeing things from above rather than below, and getting a whole new perspective on it.

We spend so much time on the ground level, pushing against other folk to get to our jobs, working, fretting over troubles and problems and those "bad days," that we rarely, if ever, take a moment to go up onto the roof and gaze out at, well, our kingdom as it were. To see the beauty of the forest rather than concentrating on the trees, to see the BIG picture rather than all the little stuff.

This, to me, is a "See the big picture!" card. I thing it was advising you to take a glass of wine out onto the balcony, sit with friends, and just gaze out at the world and enjoy.

What a great card.
Ah, that makes so much sense, Thirteen! Thanks. Great deck, isn't it?

Thirteen

BrightEye said:
Ah, that makes so much sense, Thirteen! Thanks. Great deck, isn't it?
It is an awesome deck. I'm sorry to hear that you need a magnifying glass to really appreciate it, but I think I'm going to have to get it all the same. That one card really spoke to me. It flashed me right back to those wonderful, intimate gatherings you sometimes have at that one person's house, you know? The one who has a home with a magnificent, glorious, quiet view? And after a wonderful meal filled with great food and lots of laughter, everyone goes out to lean on the bannisters and just drink in...everything. All each of you has done and accomplished and how far you've come together. You all just hang, shoulder to shoulder, enjoying the view and good company.

Talk about a picture speaking a thousand-and-one words ;)