Tarot ReVISIONed worth a study group or not?!

tabi

This is going to go in a slightly around about circle before it starts to make sense but bare with me please:

I recently bought Tarot ReVISIONed for myself, I absolutely loved it and had to share it with a friend of mine in Cali. I showed her the same link that is here. She loved it also. Even though she has no knowledge or interest in tarot she does have a degree in art. She wanted it as a coffeetable book, I skimmed briefly for the book and found it to be quite high. So I bought her the cards as a gift. I also told her that I would help her make it into a coffeetable book if she liked. That aside of the moment.

I was looking through the cards to see what they had to share and must admit there is a great deal of symbolism in them. It blends difficult cultures, religions, and just general tarot symbols together. I would love to learn more about the artist choice to use certain symbols and other peoples take on this. And honestly what some of the symbolism is because I know I'm missing some of them. As to my friend, I would love for her to understand and enjoy the deck with deeper meaning besides it being a special gift. (I love sharing my knowledge of tarot with others).

So with everyone that has this deck what do you think about doing a study group is it worth the time and energy? Or is simple self-exploration better? Please post either way, and why you think it is or isn't a good idea.

thanks,
tabi

tabi

No one has the deck or they simply don't think it is worth having a study group for?!

room

!

tabi said:
No one has the deck or they simply don't think it is worth having a study group for?!

I have the deck and I also have the first paperback edition of the book; the oversized, expensive one. I wish I'd known that he was going to publish a cheaper conventional trade paperback for it, although the large reproductions in the book are worth it as the cards are pretty small to see the details.

The book is adequate for study because the essays on each card are quite extensive, so I wouldn't feel that a study group could add anything, and I don't want to copy text from the book on this forum.

I recommend that you get the inexpensive PB edition of the book--if it's still in-print that is.

tabi

No I don't and don't know if I can even get it. I looked on the site and no ordering info was avaible for it. I also looked on eBay and only saw the one you have I believe. I'm also in the states so I'm not sure if that makes a great deal of difference or not.

room

tabi said:
No I don't and don't know if I can even get it.

I see what you mean. They used to have a zshop at Amazon--that's where I bought the book. That's where the cheaper paperback showed up maybe a year ago or so. They don't seem to have a shop there any more.

That's a shame because if you look at the excerpt on Leigh's web site, you can see how extensive the write-ups are about each card:
http://www.leighmccloskey.com/Author/Tarot/Justice Excerpt.htm

Yeah, the book I have was $70 US and that wasn't even the hardcover. Pretty steep, I bought it in my flush days when I was working. I'm really sorry to hear you can't hunt up the book.

tabi

room said:
I see what you mean. They used to have a zshop at Amazon--that's where I bought the book. That's where the cheaper paperback showed up maybe a year ago or so. They don't seem to have a shop there any more.

That's a shame because if you look at the excerpt on Leigh's web site, you can see how extensive the write-ups are about each card:
http://www.leighmccloskey.com/Author/Tarot/Justice Excerpt.htm

Yeah, the book I have was $70 US and that wasn't even the hardcover. Pretty steep, I bought it in my flush days when I was working. I'm really sorry to hear you can't hunt up the book.

Damn that bites...they just wet your curosity and nothing...grrr...I'll see what I can find on Amazon though. I don't think I care to pay $70 for a book and then also have to pay shipping and handling to the states though.