Tarot Software Writer requesting help

reagun ban

I'm in the proccess of re-writing my tarot software (for the fifth time) from the ground up with the aim of getting it interpersonal. That is to say, the new version is to work such that, rather than connecting you to a set of predefined meanings for each card, there is a tarot reader on the other end.

I'm currently working on the shuffling mechanics. What I'm curious about, at present, is whether or not the shuffling should be done automatically (that is to say, you press the button and it keeps shuffling) or manually (you press the button, it shuffles once).

The shuffling method I've implimented is a randomized version of the riffle shuffle, that is you split the deck in half and fold the two piles into each other.

Ross G Caldwell

Why not have a choice of shuffling techniques? Or the ability to combine them?

For instance, have a "perpetual shuffler" that starts with the right mouse button, and stops with a second click; then you have the choice to start a reading or cut the deck; if you choose to cut the deck, you can cut it into 2, 3 or 4 piles (or maybe a number you can enter); then you can either choose to read according to whatever spread you've chosen, or you can continue to do some specific action such as search for a significator or something (as in the "long" Golden Dawn reading).

I don't program, so I can't tell how difficult it would be to make these kinds of routines.

On another topic, I'm really looking for someone who could program different tarot games. French tarot has a few, and there's one for a Czech version (IIRC), but things like Bolognese and Minchiate would be *fantastic* to have!

(I know - you should be making money for this kind of thing - but we can dream can't we? :)

reagun ban

Ross G Caldwell said:
Why not have a choice of shuffling techniques? Or the ability to combine them?
What, do you mean, like "riffle shuffle, then block shuffle, then randomly swap some cards"?

This is a thought that had occured to me.
The problem occurs with trying to impliment it.

I need to keep these things as simple as possible, both because I am an adherent to the K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid) paradigm and because fetching a user's prefered shuffling methods and compiling them real time is a drain on resources.

This software is running off a webbrowser, in a bid to keep it platform independant.

Ross G Caldwell said:
or you can continue to do some specific action such as search for a significator or something (as in the "long" Golden Dawn reading).
You know, I knew I'd forgotten something in the previous four versions.
Version four is online, just follow my website link and you'll see it clear enough.

Ross G Caldwell said:
(I know - you should be making money for this kind of thing - but we can dream can't we? :)
It's not really about the money.
I love tarot.
I love programming.
I noticed a distinct lack of web-based tarot systems that were worth any kind of look-to so I decided to build one.