tarot speech

HonestPuck

So, I'm taking a public speaking class this semester, and our assignment was to make a speech with the topic of "something you've never seen before"

And I picked to talk about tarot cards....

I had three minutes.

I explained that tarot cards are not just for Miss Cleo, and briefly how I interpret the cards (I used the Death card from the Robin Wood as an example). And that was it.

My question to you is: If you are given three minutes and a class full of students , who only have the vaguest idea what tarot cards are, what would you have said?

moderndayruth

HonestPuck said:
So, I'm taking a public speaking class this semester, and our assignment was to make a speech with the topic of "something you've never seen before"

I had three minutes.

I explained that tarot cards are not just for Miss Cleo, and briefly how I interpret the cards (I used the Death card from the Robin Wood as an example). And that was it.

My question to you is: If you are given three minutes and a class full of students , who only have the vaguest idea what tarot cards are, what would you have said?

I guess more-less the same what you said ;) Great choice of the card, great point made - i think that's all what one can say in three minutes :thumbsup:

le pendu

I'd have said that Tarot Cards are much older than most people realize.

I'd tell them that they were most likely invented in Italy in the 1400s, and point out that that is over 500 years ago.

I'd tell them we still have examples of cards from this period, and maybe have shown them a Visconti card.

I'd tell them that they were probably invented for gambling, and that to this day the game is still played in some parts of the world.

I'd tell the artwork started changing almost immediately, and that for centuries artists have been creating their own versions of the cards.

I'd tell them that people have been using them to read fortunes for hundreds of years, and that today, there are literally thousands of decks to choose from.

le pendu

HonestPuck said:

I had three minutes.

LOL! They must have laughed at the Miss Cleo line. It's funny isn't it how varied peoples expectations about the cards are! If you only know about them from TV and 1-800 numbers, no doubt you'd be surprised to learn just how much goes into creating a deck, and how deeply meaningful their study can be.

I think it sounds like your approach probably raised a lot of awareness, and maybe even sparked a bit of curiosity. Did people come up to you afterwards with questions???

HonestPuck

I got a couple of questions right after I made the speech, though I doubt I really sparked any curiosity.

moderndayruth

HonestPuck said:
I got a couple of questions right after I made the speech, though I doubt I really sparked any curiosity.

I think that apart from giving a good speech per se, you 'spread the word' about Tarot, which is great, probably there were many people who indeed heard of Tarot for the first time and simply didn't know what to ask ;)
But, Tarot works in misterious ways, so i wouldn't be surprised if some of them approach you later on ;)
Keep up the good work!

HonestPuck

That certainly would be exciting.

SunChariot

That there are so many misconceptions, that Tarot is not what society tends to beleive it is. That there are no bad/frigtening cards. That while Tarot can predict the future that future is changable (malleable)and not set in stone. And Tarot is a tool that empowers us not so much by telling us what to expect in a set future, but by showing us how to create the future we want. Life is not something that just happens to us. We can create the life we want, and Tarot is a tool that helps us to just that. Once we decide what we want or where we want to be in the future, then we can ask questions on what steps we can take that will take us there. It is also a great tool for helping you understand your life purpose, and even life itself.

Is that 3 minutes yet???

LOL

Babs

SphinYote

le pendu said:
I'd have said that Tarot Cards are much older than most people realize.

I'd tell them that they were most likely invented in Italy in the 1400s, and point out that that is over 500 years ago.

Agree with most everything except the first sentence--most people I know still think they're egyptian origin, so Renaissance would mean they're much younger than most people realize.....