Temperance and mental health issues

ladyofhearts

have a question all: can the temperance card upright be seen as mental health issues for someone? has anyone seen it present itself that way in a reading? i have seen it read as a mental health imbalance for someone upright, and also reversed. what are your thought's on this?

tartanwolf

I would say it could relate to mental health depending on the surrounding cards, as temperance represents to me, extreme ways of thinking, the need to balance yourself, finding the moderate (normal?) ground again. When i think of extremes of behaviour with mental illness i would come up with bi polar possibly, or depression brought on by many minor stresses such as tight finance, poor diet and so on.

Thirteen

ladyofhearts said:
have a question all: can the temperance card upright be seen as mental health issues for someone? has anyone seen it present itself that way in a reading? i have seen it read as a mental health imbalance for someone upright, and also reversed. what are your thought's on this?
I'd say it indicates good mental health. A unique ability to find the right ingredients within yourself to re-invent your mental health, or re-structure it so that it always stays right for you.

Of course, other people may think this person seems strange or unique, but within themselves, they feel healthy. And when they don't, they experiment until they find their way back to that inner happiness. So whatever they need, they search for and find it and restore their mental health.

Hannafate

One way I see Temperance could be a mental health *issue* would be if someone was TOO worried about keeping an even keel. Someone who might be considered to be obsessed with sanity.

tarotlova

Well Deppression is a chemical inbalance in the brain, so the card upright could be saying that they have found the right medication the water signifying the right mixture so to speak, and rev they are still having trouble finding the right medication/mixture hence the water emotions pouring away from them.

nirvie

I had this come up recently - I was having a reading done by another reader, and we then had a bit of a discussion about Temperance and mental health issues.

Looking at the Gilded Tarot - my deck of choice the past year - I could see this in Temperance (if it was appearing in a negative since), there is such an extreme between the two cups - one showing intense fire, the other water - could represent to me the extremes between positive and negative thinking, which can lead to mental unrest.

The reader who was performing the reading, in the position in which Temperance appeared, saw a form of mental illness - not quite depression, but a tangent of it.

Temperance, in a positive position, or upright, I wouldn't read as a mental illness. But if it was reversed or ill dignified, I could potentially see it - depending on the situation.

nisaba

I had my Whispering Tarot out a couple of days ago, and I took some time out from what I was doing with it to look at Temperance. A human partly-submerged in the sea, in need of rescue. And the Angel pours water (as if there wasn't already enough!) onto his head from one hand and fire (not reallly a cure against drowning) onto his head from the other.

I know what the book says about the use of the elements this way and I'd often read it that way - but in that moment it occurred to me that an Angel, instead of rescuing, aiding or even just instructing the human as you;'d expect an angel to do, was helping with the drowning process (the water) and causing third-degree head-burns. Not really helpful stuff. So yes, in some contexts the card may come up for inappropriate actions in a situation that may be indicative of not thinking clearly or not finding the right ways to help things along.