The Big Picture

3crows

Can somebody help me see the big picture when it comes to the Major Arcana? What is it all about? I've pretty much got the minor arcana down (except for court cards) but I can't seem to "get it" with the Big Guys! I'm sure it's filled with movement and logic, but I can't get it set in my head. Thanks!

satine

3crows, have you read through the descriptions and stories under the "Learn" section of this website? Go to Card Meanings, and you can read about the journey of The Fool by beginning with this card and continuing in order through all the major arcana. That's a place to start...

Vetch

I have, for myself, decided that the Majors cannot be pressed into a pattern or system. They deal with spiritual matters and are beyond the mapping of elements and numbers that the pips offer. They are Energies with a certain flavour or colour, but not static. Like a yarn for knitting, or music, a story that is retold many times, never exactly the same way... well. Beyond words, at least for me, obviously...
They all have their meanings, but many shades.

Many will disagree with this - there are countless systems out there that put the Majors into a specific order, and to choose on of those systems can be very helpful. Works great for many people.

Not sure if this was helpful in any way, though... :)

rcb30872

I had no end of trouble with the Majors (in particular The Emperor and The Chariot) when I first started, it came eventually. One day it will click, the light bulb will come on, so be patient and don't be too hard on yourself.

Vetch

Oh, I must post again to second what rcb writes!

I realize I'm beginning to forget how long it took me to get a grip of the Majors. I got it the moment I let go.
Blah. :) But that's roughly how it worked; because I had tried so many systems and had thought about the cards and written stuff down, from books and my own thoughts, so when I finally let go I had accumulated this pool of learning, and now what I need just appears on the surface. Most times.

For you it will happen your way, but yea,
One day it will click, the light bulb will come on, so be patient and don't be too hard on yourself.

Melanchollic

-----

balenciaga

Please take the above suggestion and read about the Fool's Journey. All the answers are there.
The trumps represent your path.