The Book of the Law Study Group 2.27

Aeon418

This is the 93rd verse! How appropriate that right here there should be a warning against the lie called Reason. The reality of Hadit lies above the abyss, and the veil has already been drawn across that particular shrine in verse 14. From that point onward we have been dealing with symbols of Hadit. The coiled serpent, Kundalini, is one such rune. (HPK is another.)

With regard to the previous verse, is there any moral mandate that needs to be followed to either lift up or droop down. No. Morality doesn't enter into it. Do what thou wilt.
Should we appeal to reason to make this choice? No. Reason only reaches as high as Da'ath, and no further. The Will emanates from the Supernal triad and is beyond reason. Do what thou wilt.

ravenest

Why dogs? I get some of Crowleys other 'stuff' like 'the monsters of the sea' but just yesterday and this a.m. I am thinking what the dog connection is.

Possibly the Buddhist vision of the corpse torn by dogs? Some other connection?

thorhammer

Maybe a connection to 2:19? Those trapped by Reason are stuck in a feedback loop in doghood. Free yourself from the yoke of Because, ride the transcendent wave of connection without Reason, and you move out of the loop toward Godhood.

In other news, this verse begins one of my favourite sections of the Book. I love the humour, and the ranting. I love a good rant.

\m/ Kat

Grigori

It's funny, I always thought "dogs of reason" was a common expression, and now google seems to suggest it the BoL was its first appearance. I'm sure I've known it for a lot longer, I wonder where I heard it?!

ravenest

Maybe because its god backwards ???
I dunno, I have a little trouble with that one. In some places - like the middle east, dog is haran! - unclean!

But I like dogs, they are .Man's best friend' after all. I dont get the dog insult.

thorhammer

But I think it's the traits that are considered "man's best friend" things that have made it perfect for this verse. They're loyal (sheeple), unthinking, eager to please, they grovel to a superior personality and they're slaves to the pack mentality. Man uses that to our advantage.

Keep your dogs. I hate that obsequiousness. My ex's dog used to follow me, not just around the house, but from one side of a room to another. Just wanted to be my friend.

It sickened me, to be honest. Gimme a cat who bestows its affection after careful consideration any day.

\m/ Kat

Aeon418

There's a couple of dogs on Atu XVIII The Moon. ;)

ravenest

thorhammer said:
But I think it's the traits that are considered "man's best friend" things that have made it perfect for this verse. They're loyal (sheeple), unthinking, eager to please, they grovel to a superior personality and they're slaves to the pack mentality. Man uses that to our advantage.

Keep your dogs. I hate that obsequiousness. My ex's dog used to follow me, not just around the house, but from one side of a room to another. Just wanted to be my friend.

It sickened me, to be honest. Gimme a cat who bestows its affection after careful consideration any day.

\m/ Kat

Of course - thats it! Gawd I'm an idiot at times :D

thorhammer

ravenest said:
Of course - thats it! Gawd I'm an idiot at times :D
Never :)

Aeon's made a good point, too. The dogs of instinct and animal fear.

\m/ Kat