The Book of the Law Study Group 2.53

Aeon418

No one has commented so far, so I'll throw out a few ideas to get things started.

It's very easy to see this verse as relating only to Crowley. He didn't like message of the Book of the Law, and rebelled against it at first. But it can also be interpreted as a direct instruction to you, the prophet of your own angel. The tearing down of the veil in the previous verse is sometimes a daunting task. It can set you in opposition to the "norm", and that rarely comes without problems or a sense of aprehension. But it is also a liberating experience to look at the world through new eyes.

The final sentence always makes me think of the Hermit. It's that sense of external circumstance not being an accurate reflection of the internal spiritual state. Isn't this one of the accusing fingers that often gets pointed at Crowley all the time? His outer life was an apparent disaster, so how could he be anything more than a joke? But this assumes you know what constitutes success or failure in the context of another persons Will. Crowley claimed his Will was to teach the Law of Thelema. We're still talking about it today despite the events of his mundane life.

It's easy to jeer from the outside.
Liber LXV 4:11-13

11. There are purse-proud penniless ones that stand at the door of the tavern and prate of their feats of wine-bibbing.
12. There are purse-proud penniless ones that stand at the door of the tavern and revile the guests.
13. The guests dally upon couches of mother-of-pearl in the garden; the noise of the foolish men is hidden from them.

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:
Isn't this one of the accusing fingers that often gets pointed at Crowley all the time? His outer life was an apparent disaster, so how could he be anything more than a joke? But this assumes you know what constitutes success or failure in the context of another persons Will. Crowley claimed his Will was to teach the Law of Thelema. We're still talking about it today despite the events of his mundane life.

It's easy to jeer from the outside.

I never saw that as a valid arguement either. Especially when people point to his financial status. One look at the Hatha Yoga Pradipika and one see's how a good Yogi should live.
Years ago when it was suggested I get an Al Anon sponser, naturally I looked for one with a sober husband. I was challenged on that and learned to look for one who had found some inner peace no matter what was going on around her. I guess I had to look past the mask of sorrow, ie. drinking husband.

AW

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
I never saw that as a valid arguement either. Especially when people point to his financial status.
This could just easily apply to anyone. The Will and it's expression is totally individual and unique. And yet mundane conecepts of success or failure are based on an artificial and external standard that may, or may not, have anything in common with the individual.

We judge people by what they do for a living, where they live, what car they drive, how much they earn, etc. This measurement of success is a fantasy based on someone else's standards. But it's a fantasy that countless numbers of people run themselves ragged trying to attain. And even if some of them do attain it, why are they not all happy and content?
Could it be that nagging sense of dancing to a tune other than their own?

Of course it's not all roses on the outside. If you're going to try and live your life according to your rules, you've got to be prepared to stand your ground and fight your corner. That's not an easy task in a society that urges conformity.

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:
Of course it's not all roses on the outside. If you're going to try and live your life according to your rules, you've got to be prepared to stand your ground and fight your corner. That's not an easy task in a society that urges conformity.

I think I have permanent bite marks in my toungue. :laugh:
I'm working on it.

AW