The Book of the Law Study Group 2.58

Grigori

Aiwass said:
58. Yea! deem not of change: ye shall be as ye are, & not other. Therefore the kings of the earth shall be Kings for ever: the slaves shall serve. There is none that shall be cast down or lifted up: all is ever as it was. Yet there are masked ones my servants: it may be that yonder beggar is a King. A King may choose his garment as he will: there is no certain test: but a beggar cannot hide his poverty.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/oto/index.htm
http://hermetic.com/crowley/index.html
http://lib.oto-usa.org/libri/liber0220.html

Other threads in this study group

Always Wondering

If I could grasp this I would know what John Lennon means when he says "Nothing's going to change my world" in Across the Universe. :laugh:

I get a sense that the first part of the verse is suggesting that I am more than this.

AW

Grigori

I see this as being similar to the analogy of a snake as your lasting spiritual/true self. Each bend in the snakes body is a lifetime, and though it seems each bend comes to an end, actually they are all part of the continuing snake.

Yea! deem not of change: ye shall be as ye are, & not other.

You're not actually changing, cause the real you is bigger than this little curve. Sometimes you curve up, sometimes curve down, but always still the same old snake. Eternal and unchanged (interesting to think about this in connection with the 2 of Disks, the crowned (Kingly) snake of Change)

Therefore the kings of the earth shall be Kings for ever: the slaves shall serve.

The kings (lower case) of the earth (also lower case) shall be Kings (upper case) for ever. i.e. the king of the earth (the lower case lettering denoting a lesser importance to such a title) is a King (upper case denoting importance) for ever, as they achieve awareness of their own inherent Kingship during their earthy life. i.e. are not lost in the illusion of slavery.

The slaves (lowercase) shall serve (I notice the absence of "forever" compared with the King, and read this as a limited period of "slavery" as the true nature of us all is a King (upper case). So we can choose to identify with our bigger Kingly snake self, or just focus on the one little curve which may be a king or a slave.

There is none that shall be cast down or lifted up: all is ever as it was.

So doesn't matter if you're a king or a slave in your incarnation, as the real you is a King anyways and that doesn't change.

Yet there are masked ones my servants: it may be that yonder beggar is a King. A King may choose his garment as he will: there is no certain test: but a beggar cannot hide his poverty.

And because we are Kings, we can choose how we want to dress in our incarnated lifetime. A King may dress as a king or a begger/slave, which ever he feels like. If we were a Begger in reality, we would have no choice, so thankfully this is not the case.

I'm not sure if what I've typed in anyway makes sense or conveys what I meant to convey at least :laugh: Oh well, I tried!

Grigori

Always Wondering said:
If I could grasp this I would know what John Lennon means when he says "Nothing's going to change my world" in Across the Universe. :laugh:

Oh! I don't know that song, so just looked up the lyrics. Perfect!

"Across The Universe"

Words are flying out like
endless rain into a paper cup
They slither while they pass
They slip away across the universe
Pools of sorrow waves of joy
are drifting thorough my open mind
Possessing and caressing me

Jai guru deva om
Nothing's gonna change my world

Images of broken light which
dance before me like a million eyes
That call me on and on across the universe
Thoughts meander like a
restless wind inside a letter box
they tumble blindly as
they make their way across the universe

Jai guru deva om

Sounds of laughter shades of life
are ringing through my open ears
exciting and inviting me
Limitless undying love which
shines around me like a million suns
It calls me on and on across the universe

Jai guru deva om
Jai guru deva
Jai guru deva

Professor X

This is a rather interesing verse.

A lot of these verses remind me of the principles that are in the Thoth trump cards.

The "all is ever as it was" reminds me of the Justice card where everything is brought back into equilibrium after it experiences manifestation. It reminds of me of the Alpha and Omega principle shown on that card with the satisfied woman doing the cosmic dance holding the scales.

Everything is in balance and nothing changes which is implied by the card and this verse.

Always Wondering

Grigori said:
The kings (lower case) of the earth (also lower case) shall be Kings (upper case) for ever. i.e. the king of the earth (the lower case lettering denoting a lesser importance to such a title) is a King (upper case denoting importance) for ever, as they achieve awareness of their own inherent Kingship during their earthy life. i.e. are not lost in the illusion of slavery.

Professor X said:
The "all is ever as it was" reminds me of the Justice card where everything is brought back into equilibrium after it experiences manifestation. It reminds of me of the Alpha and Omega principle shown on that card with the satisfied woman doing the cosmic dance holding the scales.

Everything is in balance and nothing changes which is implied by the card and this verse.

This helps guys, thanks. I am almost an old hippy. :laugh: I've had that song in my head since I was 12 years old.

AW

Grigori

Professor X said:

Ah, I like that. And similarly the hub at the centre of the wheel on Fortune.

Always Wondering said:
I am almost an old hippy. :laugh: I've had that song in my head since I was 12 years old.

If you were 12 when that song came out, I'm sorry to say your too young to be an old hippy. You're a hippy wanna be ;)

ravenest

To me this line suggests that we cant change our essential nature, mission, will, etc. The tiger is always a tiger.

But you can change ... thats the whole point of magick, yoga, hermetics, alchemy .... the thing is you can 'change' into the best tiger YOU CAN be ... but a tiger will never change into a goat.

The change happens through development. The slaves are content where they are ... they are those who dont want to develop. Not like slaves that are forced into slavery through oppression, but those that stay there for one reason or another, regardless of their potential.

Aeon418

ravenest said:
The change happens through development. The slaves are content where they are ... they are those who dont want to develop.
Exactly. It is easier to remain a slave of the elements, subject to inertia and sloth. Moving out of this situation is not easy at all. The 5's of the Thoth Tarot show what happens when "motion comes to the aid of matter". Who would wish that upon themselves? Afterall, no one likes the 5's, do they? ;) The cosy little world of the 4's is much more soothing. Unfortunately it dosn't GO anywhere. But that suits most people just fine.

AL I:50 ...The gross must pass through fire
ravenest said:
Not like slaves that are forced into slavery through oppression, but those that stay there for one reason or another, regardless of their potential.
Interesting choice of words though. Oppression. (10 of Wands - Force detached from spiritual sources.) The ego is a wonderful jailer. And very quick to point the finger of blame at someone else. It's like a little jealous demiurge, stamping it's feet.