The Book of The Law Study Group 3.50

Aeon418

This triple curse is directed towards the "gods of men". Why? The verse number is 50. This might indicate TMA, Unclean = 50.

For some reason I get a kind of Lunar vibe with this verse. The curse itself is threefold. Cursing brings to mind ideas of witchcraft (not to be confused with the modern day neo-pagan variety). But it may indicate that the "curse" is active at the level of the subconscious. The phrase, "curse them" contains nine letters. 9 is Yesod the sphere of Lunar. But it is also the value of AVB, which Crowley describes as the "special fire of black magic" and the likely root of, Obeah. He also indentifies it with the astral light.

What's the connection? I've got an idea but it might sound a bit crazy. In the next few verses we see R.H.K. doing a spin on the the old "stick a pin in the voodoo doll" routine. Except his voodoo dolls are thoughtforms, astral icons, creeds, and ideas, etc., that served as mental points of contact between worshipers and the divine in the old aeon.
This whole thing is symbolic of the coming of the New Aeon and it's effect on the existing forms or worship.

Verse 195. NQMH - Neqamah, Vengeance.
27 letters in this verse. The 27th path is Peh - War. This could be a link back to verse 3. "I am a god of War and of Vengeance." Looks like R.H.K. knows how to fight dirty. })

Always Wondering

This is helpful. There isn't much in the commentary.

But it is also the value of AVB, which Crowley describes as the "special fire of black magic" and the likely root of, Obeah. He also indentifies it with the astral light.

I am away from my books again. Where?

It also reminds me of the LBRP, a little.

AW

Aeon418

There isn't much in the commentary.
You just reminded me to check Eshelman's commentary, but I see that he doesn't see anything esoteric in this verse. Oh well, it must be just me then. :laugh:
I am away from my books again. Where?
It's in An Essay upon number and also in Sepher Sephiroth. Both of which are contained in 777 and other Qabalistic Writings. I suspect you already have a copy, but seeing as you are away from your books I will quote.
An Essay Upon Number said:
207. AVR, Light. Contrast with AVB, 9, the astral light, and AVD, 11, the Magical Light. Aub is an illusory thing of witchcraft (cf. Obi, Obeah); Aud is almost=the Kundalini force ("Odic force). This illustrates well the difference between sluggish, viscous 9, and the keen, ecstatic 11.
To explain that final remark I will PM you a link to a post on Eshelman's forum. The main jist of it is that AVB is magick force aimed at manifesting 'results'. As some would say, Low Magick. Curses tend to fall within that bracket.
Sepher Sephiroth said:
9 AVB. Ventriloquus: the special 'fire' of black magic, whence Obi, Obeah. Cf. 11 and 207

11 AVD. Firebrand, volcanic fire: the special 'fire' or 'light' of the Sacred Magic of Light, Life, and Love; hence "Odic Force" ) &c. Cf. 9 and 207

207 AVR. Light Cf. 9 and 11. Aur is the balanced Light of open day.

Always Wondering

I was going to guess 777. Yep, still no books, but happy to have internet access again.

Thank-you.

You just reminded me to check Eshelman's commentary, but I see that he doesn't see anything esoteric in this verse. Oh well, it must be just me then.

Do as thou wilt and all that. But I suppose that's why I enjoy you. ;)

AW