The darker side of the 5 of Cups

ncefafn

I know the generally accepted view of the 5 of Cups is that the relationship isn't necessarily over -- there are still positive aspects to it, as represented by the two cups still standing. The message of this interpretation is, "Buck up, things aren't all that bad. You're crying over spilt milk."

However, musing on the Tiger/Elin situation made me look at this card in a different way. What if the foundation of the relationship -- mutual love and respect -- is well and truly over, and the two standing cups represent the obligations (children, debts, jointly owned property) that still tie them together. When a marriage is dead in the water, those obligations just make the situation worse.

Has anyone else ever interpreted the card this way?

firecatpickles

I don't see why it couldn't be interpreted this way.

The 5's echo the V. Hierophant, whose domain is marriages, contracts, hierarchy, order out of chaos. Here we have an upset in this balance, or status quo if you will.

huredriel

Yes. I've had this card come up quite often for grief/grieving, especially in terms of relationships.

Fostha

ncefafn said:
I know the generally accepted view of the 5 of Cups is that the relationship isn't necessarily over -- there are still positive aspects to it, as represented by the two cups still standing. The message of this interpretation is, "Buck up, things aren't all that bad. You're crying over spilt milk."

However, musing on the Tiger/Elin situation made me look at this card in a different way. What if the foundation of the relationship -- mutual love and respect -- is well and truly over, and the two standing cups represent the obligations (children, debts, jointly owned property) that still tie them together. When a marriage is dead in the water, those obligations just make the situation worse.

Has anyone else ever interpreted the card this way?
Definitely. Unfortunately you cant sever all ties when theres kids involved,but anything else will get sorted eventually.

The Fish

ncefafn, that interpretation seems to me to make a great deal of sense of the 5 cups, especially considering children involved as I feel these cups are an emotional tie, not one of any other kind - I also see it as that situation when I have had a relationship break down, my heart felt far more for the person I lost than it did for my family and friends who were left - it wasn't that I was ignoring the other love, or was unappreciative of it, I acknowledged it and was greatful for it, I certainly knew it was there supporting me, but the pain in my heart far outweighed (3cups) the love coming back at me from other people (2cups).
xx