The Devil and The Lovers

Brigantia

I was doing a reading for someone the other day, using a celtic cross spread. It was about her relationship.

The cards that came up in the 'above' position (ie above the 1st and 2nd cards) were The Devil and The Lovers. I found that really interesting because I see both connection and disparity between the two cards - the physical and the spiritual.

What are others thoughts about this pairing of cards in a reading?

BrightEye

Brigantia said:
The cards that came up in the 'above' position (ie above the 1st and 2nd cards) were The Devil and The Lovers.
so you drew 2 cards for one position? and what exactly does the 'above' position mean to you?

Brigantia

I frequently draw more than one card for a position. Usually 2, sometimes more.

The 'above' position to me means what is in the person's conscious awareness, or what they know about the situation.

Maybe it would be better to move this conversation to a more general thread. I'm more interested in what people think of the pairing than what it meas in the particular position.

Alta

After discussion with Brigantia, I am moving this thread to Using Tarot Cards. The thread is of a nature to only focus on the understanding of these two cards.

Marion
co-Moderator, Your Readings

starrystarrynight

This caught my eye because a reading done for me last week through the exchange had these cards come up adjacent to each other...(if anyone wants to see how Lady Mary interpreted them--which I thought was brilliant--you can find the thread under the Circle of Stones readings.)

But I see where Bright Eye is coming from, as position does sway meanings for me.

That all said, depending upon which card was the top or occluding card, they could be read a number of ways, I guess...perhaps the querant has to make the choice to examine (spiritually, as you said) why he/she has the obsessions s/he has (physical realm).

For how I would read the 'above' position, however, I might think that this combination means that the best possible energy of the situation could be a spiritual love combined with a sexual passion (perhaps the best of both worlds in a romantic relationship, so to speak). Something like that...

But then, as BE said, position and juxtaposition would have its say in the reading, as well.

HonestPuck

The Devil and the Lovers could mean that the person is deeply in love but her relationship is holding her back in other aspects of her life. Maybe she spends a lot time with her lover, and she doesn't have any time for herself; it could also be that she is so focused on that one person that she can't think about anything else at the moment.

Sulis

The Devil and The Lovers are related numerically - they are both sixes.

I see The Devil as the antithesis or the 'flip side' of The Lovers.

The Lovers tells reminds me that in everything I do there is a choice, even if it's not always apparent. The Lovers is about making responsilble choices.

The Devil on the other hand tries to fool me into believing that I don't have to take responsibility for my actions because I had no choice.

Does that make sense?

Brigantia

Sullis,

I agree with your take on how they interact. I think that's very interesting.

After I posted that last night, I did a one card reading for someone re their r'ship and the Devil came up again. In that particular case, I saw it as having her physical and social needs met, but not her deeper emotional and spiritual needs.