The Devil in timing spreads?

Seaberry86

I did a one card timing spread and pulled the devil. Some interpretations say that it is associated with Saturday and others say that it is associated with Capricorn and therefore means January.

Can anyone shed clarity on this?

Amitisti

not sure what kind of spread you where doing, but if I pulled the Devil in timing, I would interpret that as not so much as it will happen at this time, but more that there is something you need to let go of before it will happen, most likely a bad habit that is used to hid an issue you do not want to deal with.

Seaberry86

not sure what kind of spread you where doing, but if I pulled the Devil in timing, I would interpret that as not so much as it will happen at this time, but more that there is something you need to let go of before it will happen, most likely a bad habit that is used to hid an issue you do not want to deal with.

I never thought of it like that. I'm inclined to agree with you.

LovelyMissAries

I've always heard Capricorn being associated with it as well. between December and January, if we're getting technical.

Trogon

Usually, when I mention any time spans in a reading, it is usually more related to position. In a 3-card past-present-future spread, the past & future cards usually represent a matter of a couple of months. If I use a 5-card past-past-present-future-future spread, the outside ends represent 6 months or more into the past and future. Though for some readings I have intuitively extended those time spans.

However, I would also mention another thread in this same forum; Nisaba's Timing thread discusses what I think may be the best method I've seen for determining timing in a Tarot reading. But whether it would apply to your single-card reading or not ... <shrug>. But it does mention that pulling a Major card would be similar to what Amatisti said above.

nisaba

In my system, I'd suggest that timing is dependent on the querent learning to master their "lower" or basic instincts. Until that happens, nothing is going to happen.

Liquorice

I did a one card timing spread and pulled the devil. Some interpretations say that it is associated with Saturday and others say that it is associated with Capricorn and therefore means January.

Hi Seaberry,
in my opinion The Devil is 15, so 6 = six weeks, six months.

Or, if you want to relate with a zodiac sign, I think the Capricorn, 'cause The Devil = prince of material, like the Capricorn is concrete and is focused on concrete things.

Sorry for my grammatical mistakes

AllyBerry

Hmm. Maybe the cards are advising to stop obsessing over when _____ will happen?? Maybe your cards are being sarcastic with you. :)

SunChariot

There are a number of ways to do timing questions. But what the card meant in that particular reading will be the meaning that was represented by the method of timing that you decided to use before doing the reading. While there are many different ways to do lots of things in Tarot, you can't do a reading first and then decide afterwards which methed to use to analyse it. the answer of the reading will come out according to the method you used in that reading.

I don't kinow if that is what you meant by the question, but just in case I thought I ought to mention it.

Just to confiuse things more, in my method for timing, the Majors do not spefiicy a time frame. They only say that the event will happen once the querentn comes to terms with and looks after the issue talked about by the card. So The Devil in a timing question, woudl say that the querent (or person the question is about) is feeling tempted to do something that may not be in the best interest of the situation working out in the best way. They are toying with the idea of doing something that will slow things down. Depending on how long they sit there toying with the idea and whether or not they actually do this thing...all this is affecting the timing of when the event could happen. Until they get past this stage, the exact timing of the event cannot yet be determined. As they are doing things that are slowing it down. Once they get past that and work it out and stop doign that THEN a moe exact timeframe can be determined.

Babs

SunChariot

In my system, I'd suggest that timing is dependent on the querent learning to master their "lower" or basic instincts. Until that happens, nothing is going to happen.

That too. :grin: