The Fairy Ring Oracle - Midsummer - 2nd Card

LilRed

Fairy Ring Oracle - Midsummer - 2nd Card

Card: Midsummer
Season: Festival Card

We see a group of seven fairies enjoying the spring evening in a clearing as the moon begins to rise, this is the suns longest day. The first fairy facing us is dressed a in white dress with high, sparkling wings, her right hand is placed over her left between her legs, perhaps showing a bit of modesty with the high dress. Sitting towards her left if a red haired fairy with a purple dress and purple, butterfly like, striped wings. Above her in the tree is a green tinged fairy leaning out towards the center from the tree limbs, with very delicate, practically see-through wings. Above her sits who looks like Robin Goodfellow playing on his flute, or is it a tree Dryad?

Across in the other tree is a sister of the small green fairy, and below her is Robin Goodfellow or another tree Dryad. Standing beneath the tree on the left of the scene is a man accompanying the players, wearing purple pants and a blue tunic and darker blue vest. He is playing on what looks like a guitar but it has a very short next and a much longer, thinner body.

In the distance between the two trees sits an island that seems to have a fortress or castle at the top and little buildings down near the shore.

P.S. Am I posting this in the correct place? I noticed Froud's Oracle in the Tarot study groups while I was browsing in there.

zorya

LilRed said:
P.S. Am I posting this in the correct place? I noticed Froud's Oracle in the Tarot study groups while I was browsing in there.

it's up to your group lilred :)

i can move your threads to study groups, or they can stay in the oracle decks forum.

WooMonkey

Text impressions: Much of the text on this card is about Midsummer Eve, which is a potentially VERY dangerous time! Condemned souls of unbaptized babies, stolen brides, forced dancing, tricks and curses. And to top it all off, Amadan-na-Briona throwing bowls of blood at people! YEEK!!!
It ends by saying that "the best time to see fairies is on Midsummer Eve". Yikes, I wonder when is the worst?!!!

Card impressions: This card is more busy than the Imbolc card, since the fairies are partying. It has a happy, warm, energetic feel to it, almost like a SUN card. I have a slight problem with the image of Aine, which I find too human looking.

Divinatory: My impressions are similar to the "joyful energies, celebration, fun, light, illumination" that are in the text. Reversed however, I might be more likely to take a Midsummer Eve interpretation, and advise caution, remaining hidden, and staying home.
:)

CloeCat

When first look at this card I notice that the two fairies in the foreground look as if they are consentrating/listening or phocus on something(or on two different things?).
In the right foreground there are alot of butterflies in and around the flowers. This reminds me of a sene in the movie the Craft, when the girls have just dedecated them selves at a beach. They know they have been heard & accepted cause a group of butterflies comes down and surrounds them, flying and landing here and there.

As to the text: delight, clarity, joyful energies of magic, celebration with music (as shown by the fairies with instraments(sp?)).

In reversed: take your time coming to decission or action. Phocus on clarity (seeing things clearly) before doing anything.

That is all so far on the Midsummer card for me.
Thoughtful purrrs,
CloeCat

ncefafn

Sensory impressions: Three fairies -- it looks like Tryamour, Aine and King Finvarra -- sit or stand in a glade, through which a stream runs to the sea. Across the bay is an island crowned with a castle, beneath a full moon. Ah yes, up in the trees are some more fairies. One looks like Robin Goodfellow; are the others banshees? Robin plays his pipe and King Finvarra holds a lute, but the ladies seem especially wistful. Even though it's night, the sky seems almost sunlit.

Emotional impressions: Perhaps the ladies are wistful because they know that Midsummer marks the beginning of the God's decline -- four months from now, on Samhain, He will die, and the Goddess be left a widow. Perhaps that's why the banshees are there, already beginning to wait their time to cry out the God's impending death. So my question is, is the island and its castle a part of the Other World, or is it our world, forever separated from the fairy realm by the water-filled chasm?

Okay, so a look at the book tells me that the island is also a part of the Other World. I don't see any reference in the text to Midsummer being a very dangerous time, as WooMonkey mentions. I guess it's dangerous if you're a pious Christian. (Just teasing, please don't bash me!)

Kim

purple_scorp

Oh, I'm lost already :(

I have delayed my post for this card because I didn’t really feel (intuit) much from it and I wanted to lay out all of those cards in that series, so I could get a feel for the graduation through the seasons.

Here goes:

I gather that to the fairies, summer is light and breezy. There is an air of laziness and content. Musicians play but there doesn’t appear to be a lot of activity, apart from the dancing fairies that inhibit the trees. The angel up the front shows a look of longing – of what for, I’m not exactly sure.

There are notable similarities between the four Fairy Festival cards – Midsummer, Ostara, Herfest, and Yule. The most obvious being the fairy sitting on the right, she does not change position, though the colour of her dress and wings does change. Also, there are butterflies in all of the cards, apart from Yule, which has bees instead. The guy playing the guitar-like instrument looks really bored to me.

I noticed a clarity of buildings etc on that distant island. Everything seems reachable through touch.

To me, the whole card shows a restlessness and a sense of people wanting to be somewhere else.

Interestingly, I just looked up the meaning in the book and the only similarity in interpretation that I can find is the word “clarity” which I used to describe the objects on the island.

See, I told you I don’t get this deck…..going on to check out what everybody else said about this card –then will go onto cards 3 & 4.

purple_scorp