The Hierophant and Knowledge Systems

Goldenhair

I pulled the Hierophant as my daily card for Sunday and, since it is my soul and personality card, spent some time analyzing the symbols. When I studied the two elephants, I realized one is an Asian/Indian elephant and the other is an African elephant. The other symbols all seem to fall into either cultural symbols or esoteric knowledge systems.

Elephants - Asian, Indian and African
The Goddess - Egyptian
The crook, his blessing, the dove - Christian
His outfit - Babylonian
Pentacles - Wiccan, Pagen
The Four Guardians, the bull - the zodiac
The nails - Kabbalah

Do you think Crowley was trying to imply the Hierophant has the spiritual knowledge of all these systems? How much does one need to know/realize before they become 'enlightened'?

Namaste

Goldenhair said:
Do you think Crowley was trying to imply the Hierophant has the spiritual knowledge of all these systems? How much does one need to know/realize before they become 'enlightened'?

Excuse me for jumping in, but I am now revisisting this deck for the first time in 15 years, and your comments about the Hierophant intrigued me.

I am inclined to agree with you. Since enlightenment can never be an intellectual achievement, but an experiential one, I think Crowley was trying to imply that a spiritual understanding of what connects all spiritual systems is vital to enlightenment.

It occurs to me also that India can be seen as one of the cradles of spirituality, while Africa is considered to be the cradle of human existence, if I'm not mistaken.

In Hinduism, the sacred white elephant Airavata is the mount of Indra the king of the gods. Elephants are also called removers of obstacles, an attribute of the Hindu elephant god, Ganesh. In Greco-Roman times elephants symbolized power tempered by prudence. Their longevity led to their assocation with wisdom.

Most importantly, for me, is the fact that the elephant is a symbol of Buddha's serenity and power, while indicating innocence and faithfulness.

Enlightenment doesn't necessarily require knowledge, per se, as, perhaps, the right kind of attitude re. innocense (Zen's beginner's mind), serenity, quiet determination, and the willingness to remove all that clouds the inner mirror.

Just some thoughts. :)

Parzival

Namaste said:
I am inclined to agree with you. Since enlightenment can never be an intellectual achievement, but an experiential one, I think Crowley was trying to imply that a spiritual understanding of what connects all spiritual systems is vital to enlightenment.

Beautifully thought, if I might enter a compliment here. The Hierophant joins into an aeclectic whole often separated spiritual streams, as if Inspiration were to stream down and through head, heart, and limbs by way of the interweave of religions, not by empty facades of thoughtlessly fixed religious traditions (the four masks). Dove is with elephants, lotus around head is with child at heart, bull of the past is with wise woman of the future, and so the Hierophant points humanity to its spiritual heritage garnered and converged.

Namaste

Frank Hall said:
Beautifully thought, if I might enter a compliment here. The Hierophant joins into an aeclectic whole often separated spiritual streams, as if Inspiration were to stream down and through head, heart, and limbs by way of the interweave of religions, not by empty facades of thoughtlessly fixed religious traditions (the four masks). Dove is with elephants, lotus around head is with child at heart, bull of the past is with wise woman of the future, and so the Hierophant points humanity to its spiritual heritage garnered and converged.

Wow, Frank Hall!! :D

Thank you for the compliment, but you deserve one also. Your thoughts offer even greater clarity and insight! Very interesting...