The Lovers as someone's shadow?

Nymshi

This was pulled as a card pair with the other (Knight of Swords) representing the true self. As I use reversals and neither were reversed, I'm wondering how The Lovers should be interpreted like this. Especially since otherwise, I would read this as representing someone who is complete in and of themselves and capable of making deep connections with others. I just don't see how that could be negative or even something that would cause difficulty.

So...am I missing something?

MaineGirl117

Hi Nymshi! Welcome to AT!! :party:

I may have a different approach to interpreting the shadow side than others, but I'll share my thoughts anyway!!

Consider the symbol of yin/yang, the harmony of masculine and feminine. The white side is the masculine side, the Sun Sign, and the upper/higher chakras (as you called it the "True Self" or perhaps even the "Higher Self"?). The "Shadow" side, is the Feminine side/energy and the lower chakras.

The Shadow side of a person is not a BAD side, it is the other half of that person which makes them a whole and unique individual. It is the side that is often misunderstood, not looked at, pushed aside, swept under the rug or is embarrassing to reveal. This is because the past aeon has been dominated by Sun energy, masculine energy, and people are more comfortable with falling back on logical thinking than relying on their emotions to make decisions.

The Lovers card for me connects to the sign of Gemini which is a very communicative sign. With the Knight of Swords drawn in opposition to this card, I'm wondering if this person has a sharp tongue or may be callous in his/her comments, perhaps cracking a joke to break the tension instead of facing his/her emotions ("shadow" side) out of fear of sounding to mushy or girly. If this is a guy, there's a huge stigma for men that they need to overcome, because they've been taught "not to be such a girl" and express their emotions. The good news is that Gemini's/The Lovers eventually resolve this inner conflict because they're compelled to work towards harmonizing these opposites, though again, with the Knight of Swords indicating age being in their 20's, possibly early 30's, this ability may still be under development.

This card combination is also telling me that this person is sincerely "on the quest for True Love" and they won't stop until they find it. I'd guess this person you're asking about is a male, because the Shadow card (feminine energy) is a Major = looking for the other "half".

I'd be curious to know if this person is a Sagittarius, because Gemini is directly opposite this sign on a natal wheel. If that's not the case, you may find another clue to interpreting this card by knowing what this person's Sun Sign is and looking directly across the Wheel to the sign that represents their astrological "Shadow Side". For example, if they're a Taurus, Scorpio would be their shadow sign. I'd then read Death (Scorpio) and the Lovers card for more information.

Just a few thoughts to consider as I've been doing a lot of shadow work with my own signs over the past few years. Hope it helps!

Nymshi

Thank you for the welcome and for your thoughts. ^^

The person in question is female, not male, but doesn't really identify with traditional feminine traits...if that makes any sense? She's also a Leo, not a Sagittarius. So that would make her opposite Aquarius, and the card for that is The Star, right?

As for everything else, it's really accurate. Your explanation especially has helped me realize that I've been approaching this from the wrong direction. I had assumed that the problem would be inherent in the shadow, but instead it appears that the problem is actually in the true self. Or rather...in how that self is limiting the full expression of the shadow.

MaineGirl117

Thank you for the welcome and for your thoughts. ^^

The person in question is female, not male, but doesn't really identify with traditional feminine traits...if that makes any sense? She's also a Leo, not a Sagittarius. So that would make her opposite Aquarius, and the card for that is The Star, right?

As for everything else, it's really accurate. Your explanation especially has helped me realize that I've been approaching this from the wrong direction. I had assumed that the problem would be inherent in the shadow, but instead it appears that the problem is actually in the true self. Or rather...in how that self is limiting the full expression of the shadow.

Thank you for the feedback! Yes you are correct that the opposing side to Leo is Aquarius and yes, that is the Star card. You say that she does not identify with traditional feminine traits, though with the Lovers card drawn for the shadow side it looks like she's got a wealth of those resources within her that she *could* draw on. Leo's negative traits can be excessive pride and vanity, being holier than thou, can be selfish or loners. With Aquarius you become more a part of "group" mentality, slightly aloof in the sense that you're more of an observer of social interactions, especially one on one. You listen a bit more, talk a little less, and you think before you speak because you become aware that words have power and careless comments can hurt people pretty badly. Aquarians are also wonderful people to have in supportive roles, they help others achieve their goals instead of needing to be center stage all the time like Leo's. One of the positive aspects of the Lovers card is that you put another person's needs before your own :love: When two people both do that in a relationship (and it can be any relationship, friendship, lover, business partner etc) BOTH people win!

PAMUYA

Welcome to AT. For me the knight of swords is an intelligent, well spoken person who is a diamond in the rough. They are quick to react without thinking things through, at times leaving chaos in their wake, their opinions are quite strong, little tolerance for those who do not agree with them. With Lovers as the shadow, or under lying influence, I would think that they always have another choice in their back pocket. It is hard for them to commit to one thing, their interests are short lived, jumping from one thing to another.