The Magician

leelee

for why someone feels the need to see a councillor?

I know this is a major and needs to be looked at with some depth but in this context I seem to have hit a brick wall...

my first thought was that the Magiacian is a manipulator...so therefore he is seeing a councillor to manipulate me into doing something I don't want to do. After words in a recent fight I told him I am not going to give up my dirt bike riding becasue of HIS insecurities.

my second thought after consulting "Joan Bunning's Learning the Tarot" I read it is a signal to act and act now, provided you understand what you want" - so I could interpret this as he wants us to get on better and he is acting on his insecurities.

Other cards were Pg Cups and 5 Wands - these are not for a reading purely for help with the interpretation of the Magician

Cheers

ETA: I would of expected to see the 3 swords as he has jealousy issues -would I be correct in this?

Seafra

There are other cards that show jealousy. In the odd throw the 3 of Swords might mean the desire to tell someone a painful truth but I don't see jealousy.

Try reading through Card Meanings which is stickied at the top of this thread. There have been many long and enlightened discussions on the Magician. Also on the other cards you mention. See if there is something there that rings true for you.

Hannafate

If you know for a fact that the Querent feels a need for counseling, the Magician could refer to the desired outcome of that counseling. Gaining control. Being able to manifest one's desires.

If the Querent has *said* they feel a need for counseling, but may not actually mean it, then the Magician may indicate that they are being manipulative by saying so. For example, the not uncommon situation of a man saying he wants to get couples counseling, because he thinks it will make the woman happy, not because he really thinks he needs to change.

leelee

Hannafate said:
If you know for a fact that the Querent feels a need for counseling, the Magician could refer to the desired outcome of that counseling. Gaining control. Being able to manifest one's desires.

He has told me that he is going to see a Councillor and the appointment has been made. His reasoning is to control his jealousy's and I commend him for doing that. The gaining control hits home, whether he is trying to gain control of me or his emotions will be the issue.

Debra

Your friend may see the counselor as a Magician who can help him learn to control himself. I've had that come up before.

Seafra

leelee said:
for why someone feels the need to see a councillor?

Thought about this and ... sure, why not. The Magician has the ability to shape his destiny. His is the will that creates. He's a 1. He's ego.

I'd prefer to see a more spiritual card -- a more thorough card such as Temperance or Judgement. Integration or Transformation. Devil to see his shadow side, etc.

You mention manipulation. Do you see this individual as going to counseling as a way to manipulate you? That would depend on how it fell in your reading. My take on the Mag is 'as above, so below' so he would be reversed most likely if the counseling was some kind of ploy. (Unless this Mag is an influence on him).

If you are still unsure on that count by all means use the Your Readings forum and post it there (according to that forums guidelines) and I'm sure a few of us will come in and give our 2 cents worth. No card is an island when it comes to readings. Context is a huge part of it.

Thirteen

leelee said:
He has told me that he is going to see a Councillor and the appointment has been made. His reasoning is to control his jealousy's and I commend him for doing that. The gaining control hits home, whether he is trying to gain control of me or his emotions will be the issue.
Why do you believe that his going to a councillor would give him the ability to "gain control" of you? Or do you believe he's just trying to appease you and this will gain him control?

Frankly, I think the answer to your question of why he's going (The Magician) is quite simple. He wants a "magical" solution to whatever his problem is. And he thinks he can gain it through this counseling. Very simple. We are always looking for quick, easy, and magical solutions to problems. And there are those who believe that one session talking with someone special will magically clear up whatever issues they are having.

That's what he thinks, but neither you nor he knows what will really happen.