The Queen of Wand´s Sunflowers

Raya

What do the sunflowers mean in the Queen of Wands...? and in the Sun, as well, now that I think of it...

Shaymus

Hi,

They are symbols of the element of fire.

Shaymus

Thirteen

Raya said:
What do the sunflowers mean in the Queen of Wands...? and in the Sun, as well, now that I think of it...
They're a way of associating her with the Sun, with the suit of fire. Wands, in the typical RW deck, are the element of fire and energy, passion, and the virtues of the Sun, including philosophy, drama, etc.

It could also be an indication that in that deck she stands for Leo (sunflowers are the flower of the zodiac sign Leo), or just a reflection of her disposition. Sunflowers are emblematic of dramatic, confident, energetic people. There's nothing of the shrinking violent or demure daisy in a sunflower.

The flower guide has this to say about sunflowers:
The sunflower promises power, warmth, and nourishment — all the attributes of the sun itself. Legend tells that the Greek sun-god Helios was drowned by his uncles, the Titans, and then raised to the sky, where he became the sun. He was loved by a mortal woman named Clytie, who died of her love for him. When she died she became a flower and followed Helios' daily journey through the sky. The sunflower's turning as it follows the sun symbolizes deep loyalty and constancy.

Sulis

I love those sunflowers.

I think they show that this is one strong lady who does whatever she sets out to do, even if it seems impossible. After all, she's managed to get those sunflowers to grow in that hot, barren desert. I reckon if she can do that then she can do anything she sets her mind to.

Shaymus

Sulis said:
I think they show that this is one strong lady who does whatever she sets out to do, even if it seems impossible. After all, she's managed to get those sunflowers to grow in that hot, barren desert. I reckon if she can do that then she can do anything she sets her mind to.
Great way to remember her personality! Thanks for that :)

Shaymus

Raya

Thirteen, where did you find the flower guide? That sounds awfully interesting and useful. Are there guides for animals and other specific things?

Thirteen

Raya said:
Thirteen, where did you find the flower guide? That sounds awfully interesting and useful. Are there guides for animals and other specific things?
I'm sure there are guides for just about everything. There are plenty of online sites that offer info on the symbolism of flowers--and animals, etc. This was just at the top of the list:

http://www.flowers.com.cy/flowerguide/symbolism.shtml

Here's another site that offers a good deal more (i.e., a LOT more options on plants, flowers, trees, etc):

http://www.photovault.com/Link/Food/PlantsHerbsSymbolism.html

This site points out that Sunflowers stand for fertility, wishes, health and wisdom.

tabbycat

Didn't know the legend of Clytie but I love this picture of her, by Evelyn de Morgan.

Attachments

• clytie.jpg
    clytie.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 907

Mystic Leo

Here's another from, 'Pictures from the Heart' by Sandra A. Thomson

Quote: In Greek legend the sunflower is the symbol of the water-nymph Clytie
who pined for Apollo and was ignored by him. After sitting for nine
days without eating, her eyes fixed only on the sun god as he rose
and travelled across the sky, her limbs took root in the ground and her
face became a flower, perpetually turning to follow her love.
She is considered a symbol of constancy.

Fulgour

It may be worth noting that The Queen of Wands
is holding a Sunflower that has actually been cut,
which might also give a hint that SHE directs it. ;)

Pamela Colman Smith must have adored Sunflowers
and in foggy London they were only a memory now.

XIX The Sun shows the flowers facing toward YOU,
which is also the case with The Queen on Wands...
sort of like Pam wanted to remind us that WE shine!