Thinking too much?

beekie

Is it just me, or does lenormand cause readers to think more than go with their gut reactions? With tarot I can pull a card, get a vibe, and go with it. With lenormand I feel I put too much thought into the reading. Is this normal?

Rather than "this card is telling me this", its "these cards are telling me this...or this.... Or this".

SixDegrees

Rather than "this card is telling me this", its "these cards are telling me this...or this.... Or this".

This made me smile. I struggle with this as well. I try to keep card order in mind (NOUN + ADJECTIVE), but that doesn't always work. When I do get frustrated, I try to remember that it took me a couple of years before tarot really seemed to gel. I remind myself that can't expect to pick Lenormand up immediately, and it will probably take me another few years before I feel really comfortable with the deck. It's a long view, but it helps.

beekie

This made me smile. I struggle with this as well. I try to keep card order in mind (NOUN + ADJECTIVE), but that doesn't always work. When I do get frustrated, I try to remember that it took me a couple of years before tarot really seemed to gel. I remind myself that can't expect to pick Lenormand up immediately, and it will probably take me another few years before I feel really comfortable with the deck. It's a long view, but it helps.

At least we are not alone in this ha! I also try to keep with the noun+adj and for the most part it works well. And good point, its just going to take some time. The other day I asked my friend to come up with a question. He asked me what hamburger place was he thinking of. I pulled 3 cards and got the correct place, as each card as an individual perfectly described this place... I didn't read them in pairs at all. Perhaps it will also depend on the question, how you choose to read the cards.

Ronia

Lenormand is logical. It's a language. You have 36 words which may have about 2-3 possible uses (meanings) and you make stories out of them. It's important to learn your words well first and to not go over the board but stick to the 2-3 meanings. When you're done with that, sentences will become much easier to make. And practice, of course.

I always recommend Serena Powers website for Lenormand beginners. It's the best source of traditional clear meanings I've ever seen.

I'm also against any rules of the kind "the second defines the first". I'm a generational reader and have seen the opposite hundreds of times. For example, Clover+Coffin - how would you read it? As luck is bad? But I can guarantee you that 97% of the times it will be a lucky end, a happy end! Same with Bouquet+Coffin. And many more combos. Heart+Scythe - love is ending or desired ending or decision? Because Scythe+Heart will definitely end the love, so the opposite is not meaning the same.

Teheuti

Most early Tarot books said you needed to memorize all the meanings before you tried to read the cards. With the RWS deck people began to simply project stories onto it (whether psychological or psychic). A few people are able to do that with playing cards. Modern Tarot teaches that we can just go with the symbolism. Certainly you can use Lenormand cards as an intuitive, symbolic or projective Oracle device (Bear mythology says . . .). But you aren't really reading Lenormand, since it is more of a system as well as a deck.

[You can also read Tarot according to a system, if you choose to do so. The original Golden Dawn Tarot system, for instance, is very specific.]

Once you learn the system you can go with your gut reaction or intuition, but it's what I call an "educated intuition" in which you used the Lenormand system "rules of thumb" to increase your accuracy and be more specific.

An example, in another field: I might "intuit" that you are ill. A trained medical intuitive might see an image symbolizing the problem (a train-wreck in the left . . .). A medical doctor might intuit something far more specific that guides which tests she orders first. [My doctor said we could do a whole range of expensive allergy tests, but suggested I first go off all dairy and see what happened. All my severe allergic reactions disappeared. Why dairy instead of gluten and why not the systemic poison oak that all my "intuitive" friends had said was the cause?]