Thoth draw with Unicursal Hexagram

Grigori

This thread is going to sound like it belongs in the "My Readings" section, but if you bear with me till the end, hopefully you'll think this is an OK place to post it.

I've been studying Thoth deck lately, and started doing small readings on day-to-day things to get some practice in. This morning I decided to do a "daily card" which I don't usually do (cause by the time I'm awake enough to do it, I'm at work :) ).

While shuffling I had the idea "I bet I get the Unicursal Hexagram".

So I shuffled, cut and tried to draw a card. Turns out I drew two cards by mistake (they weren't stuck together, just my finger got both)

Unicursal hexagram (of course you saw that coming) on top of the Princess of Swords.

I've never used the UH before, and don't have any assigned meaning for it. I advised myself to look out for anything unusual, and try to be clever about it.

The thing that happened today: I was asked to interview for a part-time position I've been eyeing off for some time. It would be very little hours, but will be tutoring students in my profession (and something I'd very much love to do). I took the advice on being clever, and asked someone I know who may will have the opportunity to put in a good word for me do so.

So I've assumed the UH relates to this quite unexpected event. But I'm wondering why this card specifically would come up, instead of perhaps Fortune, or even a Disks minor, or really any other card.

Am I way off base on thinking the UH relates to this offer? If not I'd love to hear comments on how people compare this card to others in the deck.

There's a few threads about on how people use this card. I guess I'm wondering in relation to my day (or just generally) why is this card more applicable than another? What is it that makes it different than the other cards?

HenryLee

Hey similia! Yeah, the UH is generally the most fun for me because the times that I've left it in, I've read it as the "butterfly flaps it's wings" in my life. You said that you had been "eyeing" the job, so some part of you thought about it or wanted it, meaning that the Universe heard and let you know. I think in this case your thoughts were the butterfly wings flapping that led to the interview and the UH was just letting you know that "they got your call."

Congrats on the interview and best of luck!

Henry

Fulgour

however it is drawn

As I see it one of the problems with the Unicursal Hexagram,
and here I mean as it is presented in the current Thoth decks,
is that we're confronted by an inverted pattern of this design.

Looking at the 5-pettaled flower design in the centre we can see
that it is upside-down, thus representing an inverted pentagram.
Not much difficulty figuring out the significance of that symbol.

Grigori

HenryLee said:
the UH was just letting you know that "they got your call." Henry

Thanks Henry, I like that idea. It makes the UH seem still quite similar to Fortune, but more planned rather than random. I guess that is really what I was curious about, as to how this card is different than another one that is seemingly similar.

Fulgour said:
we're confronted by an inverted pattern of this design

Yeah I noticed that too. I looked at some scans online and it seemed like it was upright in earlier printings. It's a shame no one at the printers picked up on it, or has changed it.

HenryLee

I've been taking the UH out of the 78 and just standing it up facing the deck during my readings...

I've also placed the UH right-side up or up-side down depending on my feeling of the reading because I have a feeling that there's some connection between the shades of my UH and the shades of the reading...That's just my opinion though.

Henry

prudence

similia, how did it all turn out, and now how do you see the unicursal heaxagram's significance in that reading?

Grigori

It's still up for debate... The position's not been filled, although the semester has started and the students are on practical tasks. There's alot of structural changes going on there, so I think I may of been a victim of beurocracy (not suprising at this college, if you can find two people who agree on anything, their probably only agreeing that they hate their job :D )

Perhaps Fulgours idea of the reversed pentagram is a good one. The reading could of been about deception, which would fit the political situation going on.(shrug)

prudence

well, that's a bummer

: (