to do or not to do...

jojojo

I am little puzzled at interpreting the cards and thought I would ask your opinion......

OK, if you get say the 5 of swords in a position of 'what you should do' should you interpret this as you must keep on with what you are doing, win at any costs - go out and get it...or do you reverse the meaning and see it as a warning - you must watch how you act, be careful it is not worth winning at any cost.

any input greatly received......

Grizabella

I'd interpret it as to be vigorous in going after what you want because that will mean you'll be successful. It would also depend, though, on what the spread was, the question, and what the surrounding cards were. I wouldn't necessarily say it meant to go after it at any cost. Just to be vigorous in pursuing what you want.

Sophie

Hi Jo,

It all depends on your circumstances, and on surrounding cards.

If you've pulled it as advice, and in upright position, just before or in the middle of a push forward - I might read the card as "go on, don't get held back by scruples, you can go ahead and win". If you get it AFTER a disagreeable time, when you have felt defeated, it could be telling you to get over it, accept defeat & move on.

I would also look at all the other cards for context. What I have written is out of context. For example, if your 5 of Swords is followed by a 6 of Wands, this shows you winning through & getting credit for it - so the advice to push forward is appropriate. But if it's followed by the 8 of Swords, you might want to adapt the advice - something like: "time to leave this situation, cut your losses, or you'll get stuck."

Abrac

Hi jojojo

I wish I could tell you what it means, but all I can say is you just have to figure it out for yourself. You can read every book, and think you know every card backward and forward, then you'll do a reading and it will throw you something clean out of the blue. I'm not saying I don't think it's important to learn as much as you can about each card, just that when it comes to readings, anything can happpen. Trust your instincts.

fools fool

Sulis

I think that I would read this as saying that you should go for it and put your own interests first but that you should be aware that other people's feelings count. Take care not to ride rough-shod over the other person or people involved.

Love

Sulis xx

Belladonna

I have a slightly different take on this card. I would interpret it as advice to go ahead and take the route no one else has taken- even if it seems tougher or unfair or not your first choice.

The fives are cards of difficult adjustment. There is supposed to be some challenge involved. Sometimes these challenges are disguised as a loss. The Swords, though, are mostly mental. So I wouldn't view this as involving a lot of energy or physical effort or anything particularly involving your emotions. I would say it mostly has to do with changing your point of view, your perspective, or your belief about something that you'd rather not. That's the challenge.

jojojo

Thankyou everyone

Thanks everyone for your input - this wasn't a reading, it is just something I have been thinking about when reading or studying the cards. It was an example that confused me....it looks like most poeple would read the card as it's upright meaning states - also depending on the surrounding cards - this makes loads of sense.

The other one that gets me is the 5 of pentacles say in a 'what I should do' or a 'what I want' position...certainly no-one would want to be left out in the cold. Also the 9 of Swords - who wants that (I use RW)!!!

Could the 5 of pentacles mean that you should leave or that you want out..

Could the 9 of Swords mean you should cut your losses and move on or that you want to be left alone

Belladonna

Choosing the 5 of pentacles in a "what I want" situation may be reflecting unconcious desires. If I lose my job than maybe someone else will take up more of the financial responsibility. Or, if I break these china plates that have been passed down as valuable family heirlooms for 16 generations, I won't have to worry about/ look at them anymore.

And choosing the 9 of Swords in such a situation could be hinting at the fact that you need something to worry about. Maybe there's a bit of the perfecionist coming out, an obsessive attachment to details. If I'm not worrying about something than I'm being lax, feeling guilty, out of control. What have I forgotten? It could also be poking fun at the drama queen in you.