Trust and Faith in Tarot

cosmiclight

Hi

I need some help.i love tarot and am practicing it for few years.the problem is the more i have read about it, i have somehow lost faith in tarot.its not that i dont beleive in it but i have mixed feelings about tarot..may be its all in the mind, placebo effect,self fullfilling prophecy, cold reading....such feelings are hindering my tarot practice.

Is there a way i can overcome these feelings..is there a book which can help..please let me know how can i incrase my faith and trust in tarot..i do not want to loose hold of such a wonderful oracle.

thanks

yannie

Hi cosmic,

I'd say don't force it. When I lose interest in reading tarot for any period of time, I just...lose interest. I take it as a time I'm supposed to follow my own direction & cease reliance on tarot. Maybe that's the message for you. You'll come back to tarot if/when you're meant to.

But if you really want to make an effort, I'd say just flip through the cards for funsies. Take pleasure in the images. If you're drawn to reading again you will. That's one way to stay connected.

cosmiclight

thanks

Thanks Yannie

i am trying..its like i do c.o.t.d for few days and then leave for a day and 2 and then restart.may be i am jumping from one to another tarot book and should follow only one book instead..thanks:)

SwordOfTruth

I went through a period where I declared everything occult was total rubbish, it was all confirmation bias etc. I think I was in that state of rejecting it for a few years. It's quite normal to question the validity of something and its a healthy thing to do. When I returned to tarot and the occult after rejecting it, I actually found my belief in its relevance deepened as a result of this break from it.

So don't resist this questioning in any way. Just roll with it. Our faith in something is useless until its been tested.

Farzon

Don't rely on books! Your interest will come back naturally! I have experienced similar feelings about different hobbies and interests of mine including the Tarot.

From your post I guess you read a lot of books on Tarot? Maybe you're overdoing it? Just take a step back until you begin to miss your cards!

danieljuk

instead of using tarot where you have to trust in it (eg what will next month be like? how will this go?), try it for analysis on a problem or choice or even yourself. Some people on AT don't believe in it's predictive properties and so don't trust in it but use it for analysis of the past or present, you might get your faith back in it :) I do believe in it's predictive properties but I can never be sure, but use it for things you can be sure of in your life to regain your trust in it.

CornissMagorniss

I think tarot is predictive to the extent that all our past experiences and sensations tend to bring us to the next thing that happens to us. That is, you are most likely to get to the places your feet are leading you.

Nemia

For me, Mary Greer's Tarot for Yourself was a real breakthrough. The book and especially the exercises helped me to connect to the cards and to make them "mine". And I trust them just as I trust my inner voice. Sometimes it may be wrong or I'm unable to understand it properly, but I have nothing better ;-)

There are a number of books with tarot activities that look interesting. I think the idea to explore one is good. You can see then whether the tarot interests you as such.

But if you have doubts, there is a good reason for it. You might wish to explore these doubts in a tarot spread. Maybe tarot itself can answer some of your questions for you?

I don't expect anyone or anything to be infallible. The tarot is no exception.

I think much depends on the intentions. There are undoubtedly charlatans in the tarot world just like there are ignorant teachers, dogmatic doctors and cunning lawyers - all of them putting personal gain or other aspects before their professional ethos. But if you approach the cards honestly, then there is no element of fraud, no trick, no manipulation, no reason to distrust.

seedcake

I agree with everyone who posted here. A lot of wisdom in one place and ways how to expand your own abilities :)

From my point of view - I've learned to trust in Tarot 'cause I trusted myself. Few times, in pretty hard moments, I got the readings which were pretty direct. It wasn't pleasent but after a while, I really needed to face obstacles. After, I was recalling the harsh cards and I understood I was ready for the challenge. That's why I believe in predictive properties of Tarot - it's your own readiness for the things to come. I strongly believe that we're able to analyse everything what happens in our lives and know what's next. You can ask yourself are you ready for this? Are you ready to take life how it really is, not like we want it to be :)