Two of Swords - variant meanings and the RWS

euripides

Now, here's a question that is hard to put the way I want.... I know a lot of people will probably advise reading with your instinct, and the feeling of the art, over the Waite meanings. I understand this view. But I want to think a bit about the intent of the writer, the intent of the artist - and possibly the instinctive feel of the artist, and the resulting card.

The RWS LWB says "A hoodwinked figure balances two swords upon her shoulders. Divinatory meanings: Conformity and the equipoise which it suggests, concord in a state of arms, affection, intimacy. Reversed: Imposture, falsehood, duplicity, disloyalty.

equipoise= balance, equilibrium.

To me, reading this note, suggests that in this card, this state has been reached. The card represents balance, peace. Though I don't feel that at all from the art. How can it mean affection and intimacy? I don't see that at all.

a thought: if the woman is holding the swords belonging to two combatants, they cannot fight (hence, concord in a state of arms) - but they are still crossed. The conflict still exists, just suspended.

The Spiral tarot shows a woman on a tightrope holding the swords. I wondered, how could this mean concord, given her precarious position? But then I thought, perhaps she is being like a tightrope walker, an acrobat with perfect control, a calm strong mind, moving forward despite the danger.

The meaing on tarot.com says that it represent conflicting ideas or visions that must be reconciled. Mixed signals. Frank discussion is needed.

The blindfold.... Waite says 'hoodwinked' which to us suggests being tricked, but while its true that this is the modern meaning, the original meaning of the word meant to have the eyes closed or covered by the hood (ie of your cape). So I suspect Waite's original vision might have been of a dramatically hooded figure, rather than blindfolded. ah... then again, I've seen another definition which gives it as an archaic term for blindfolding. Though it was being used as meaning 'to decieve' by 1610

and then there is this, from a page on freemasonry and numerology:
http://www.masoncode.com/The Jewels of Freemasonry.htm

The Entered Apprentice candidate is presented to the lodge, 'Slipshod and Hoodwinked', draped with a, 'Cable Tow', - in other words he is slippered, hooded and has a hangman's noose around his neck.

'Hoodwinked' has the significant value of 1080. This is the female, or lunar, component of the number of fusion (1080 + 666 = 1746) and ascribed to the Holy Ghost - in Greek 'To Pneuma Agion'.

Hmm... now did I actually manage to phrase a question? Probably not! Anyway, any thoughts, suggestions, ideas about this card ?

cheers
Euri

BrightEye

euripides said:
Divinatory meanings: Conformity and the equipoise which it suggests, concord in a state of arms, affection, intimacy.
first of all i would say each deck gives a particular interpretation of a card and they can vary greatly. re the above meaning: i've had it come up in a reading in just such a contradictory way. it was about how a feels about b. there was great affection and even a certain intimacy between the, but person a tended to show it less, was somehow guarding their feelings with reason (the swords are crossed over the woman's heart, she also has her back to the sea - she doesn't want to face emotions). the fact that she doesn't want to face them means that they are there and they are bothering her. i think it's a false balance, one that has to be given up eventually.

does this answer some of your question?

Crowqueen

In the Sharman-Caselli this was the card that stuck out for me, stronger than any of the others. Caselli must have designed it with the meaning in mind: the set is published as the Beginner's Guide to Tarot and for me the S-C was my "training deck" - nice "neutral" cards, gentler pictures, less cluttered symbolism. I also saw myself in the card's image, down to the colours the woman is wearing and used it as my significator for a while.

In a couple of readings I've done it's come up and I've interpreted it as being at a crossroads, when it came up under "where?". It's also about making decisions as to how to proceed, I guess.

BrightEye

the Sharman-Caselli is a really good deck. my favourite. and yes, the card does stick out. it's very beautiful.

Crowqueen

I've warmed to it - I was disappointed at first, but it's nice and gentle for people who don't "do" the more lively occult stuff but just want their "fortune told".

euripides

Yes, BrightEye, those are interesting thoughts. I hadn't thought much about the role of the sea.

There's certainly a sense of defensiveness in her pose.

I closed my eyes and sat in that pose with DH's army sword in one hand, and you know, there's also a feeling of strength there. There's a certain power in a sword. This one is an old Ceremonial sword, very solid and heavy.

I haven't really looked at the sharman-caselli. I liked the point about uncluttered symbolism - I tend to be attracted to decks that have "everything but the kitchen sink" - but maybe that can detract from a reading. Simple can be powerful.

BrightEye

euripides (i like your name),

the sharman-caselli is not to be scoffed at. it's (for me at least) a very powerful deck. i started with the thoth in my late teens and got the sharman-caselli only recently, so even if you know your symbolism, it's still an enriching deck.

yes, holding those swords can give you a sense of power. it's a person very much in control of his/herself but also someone who doesn't like to give up control.

i was going to start a separate thread but i will post it here instead. this card has come for me in the last 2 days. i had a dream in which i was running away from the incoming tide and nearly drowned. the sea kept eating away at the land and i nearly fell off a sandy cliff. then all of a sudden my guide appeared at my side and said why don't you call on us for help?

when i asked the cards what message is trying to get through i got this card.

i don't yet know how it relates to my life, but it's all about having your back turned to the sea for too long.

euripides

"its all about having your back turned to the sea for too long." thank you, BrightEye.

That's it. That's it. I've been trying to figure it out.

I tend to do 'instinctive' readings, just dealing a few cards and trying to see what they are telling me, rather than having specific questions. The two of swords came up and I so struggled to make sense of it, and so when I was looking into various meanings ascribed to it, I found the differing views which prompted the post.

You've really nailed it.

I've been trying to resolve the way we aren't living in line with our ideals. Modern life tends to suck you in....