Uma Silbey's "The Complete Crystal Guidebook"

Kyrielle

Does anyone own or use this book? Have you heard anything of it? I saw a used copy at a local bookstore but I can't decide whether to get it or not. Scott Cunningham apparently liked it: he gives it a favorable note in his annotated bibliography to his Crystals, Gems, and Metals book.

What piqued my interest was that he says this book is a good source of information without the extraterrestrial or Atlantean theories that some writers have, which can be a bit much. I'm not that sure, though, that the book has much for someone like me who approaches the stones through folklore and meditation...

I have the author's book on crystal balls, and I do like that one. The voice is very down-to-earth and friendly.

Anyhow, does anyone have any thoughts on this book?

-- Kyrielle

Kyrielle

Okay, I'll answer my own question...

I bought this book, since there was a sale on it, and I would recommend it to anyone who can find it. It covers many subjects, astral travel, channelling, information retrieval, programming, scrying, jewelry and tools, etc, etc. The tone is friendly and down-to-earth, very non-intimidating. There are also chapters on how to take care of your own needs as you practice crystal healing on others, and on how to keep grounded and humble as your knowledge and power grow. I have never seen such practical information in any other book on crystal work. The book deals almost exclusively with clear quartz, but there is a bit of information on color and colored stones.

It's out of print and originally printed in the 1980s, so it may be a challenge to find, but it's worth it if you want a fresh and grounded perspective on working with quartz.

-- Kyrielle

Aoife

Thanks Kyrielle,
Does it have an ISBN number - I might be able to find it in the library.

Kyrielle

ISBN is 0-553-34499-4.

Kyrielle

My local shop has another used copy in stock, as of today (January 28). It is $6.99 (US). If anyone is really interested in getting this book, PM me and we may work something out.

-- Kyrielle