Understanding the Tarot Court Study Group #6

Rhiannon

Career Destiny Spread
(from the book Understanding the Tarot Court by Greer & Little):

Separate the courts from your deck. Pick 2 or 3 different career paths for yourself and choose a court to represent each of those choices. Return the remaining courts to the deck and shuffle.

The courts you have chosen will later be incorporated into the spread in position #4.

You will only draw one card for position # 1, 6 and 7. The rest will be drawn for each choice.

6…5A….5B……..7
…..4A……4B……...
……3A……3B…….. (more columns may be added for more career choices)
……2A……2B……...
……………1…………

1. Underlying issue: this may reveal things you hadn’t thought of that may be affecting your decisions.
2. Assets: what resources you bring to each choice
3. Challenges: obstacles you will encounter for each choice
4. Careers: these are the courts you originally selected for each choice, look at how they relate to the other cards drawn.
5. Outcomes: a likely outcome for each path if pursued.
6. Advice: may suggest which path is most beneficial.
7. Destiny: Shows where you may ultimately be headed. Look at these with the outcome cards to see which path will help you reach this destiny.

I hope that was clear! If you have any questions I'll be happy to check the book again and see if I can clarify.

Enjoy!
R :)

Link to index: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?threadid=32366

hyatt

I tried out this spread since I am at a crossroad with my career right now. I actually do have a couple options. So this was a good spread for me. I wasn't sure if i was suposse to shuffle. i did and laid out the 4th cards as my chosen ones.
It was a pretty interesting spread. I choose the queen of pentacles for one path and the 1st and 2nd cards were also pentacles. On the other path the 5th card was the card I always use as myself...so it was interesting to see it in an outcome.
Thanks for the spread it was alittle confusing but I enjoyed it.

Aleks

Lisa,

Let me see if I have this.

My career choices would be: Homemaker, Nurse, and Business / Marketing.

So would I do this?

1. Underlying issue: this may reveal things you hadn’t thought of that may be affecting your decisions.
4. Careers: these are the courts you originally selected for each choice, look at how they relate to the other cards drawn.
7. Destiny: Shows where you may ultimately be headed. Look at these with the outcome cards to see which path will help you reach this destiny.

Homemaker court card 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 (cards)

Nurse Court card 1,2,3,4,5.6.7 (cards)

Business / Marketing court card 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 (cards)

Is this right?

Aleks

Aleks

Okay.........

Homemaker = Queen of Wands

1) Knight of Pentacles
2) King of Pentacles
3) 9 of Cups
4) 7 of cups
5) 4 of swords
6) Knight of Wands
7) Fool

This looks like it could be a possible choice. I will feel secure, and wont have a need for $$$. But, the four of swords, and the Knight of wands seem to be telling me that it will be a good rest for me, but in the end I'll get bored. In the end...I'd be a "fool" to do it. ; )

Nurse / Care giver = Queen of Cups

1) Knight of Swords
2) Ace of Pentacles
3) 6 of cups
4) 7 of wands
5) 6 of swords
6) 7 of pentacles
7) The High Priestess

This path will have me studying my little brains out. It will be challenging, but I can win through. I have the money to go to school. I need to not be worried with how I've done things in the past. Day care wont kill my baby, and I need not worry about having dropped out of school before. I need to do this to prove a few things to myself, and a few other people. I have the will power, and can persevere, and succeed. If I do this it will squash out old habits, and feelings about myself, and create a new future. I'm taking stock cause I'm half way through. I already earned an Associate Degree, and not to give up because persistence will be worthwhile, and bring the rewards I deserve. If I would be still and reflect (like what I'm doing right now..) I will see my true path, and I'll be ready, when I'm ready to see it.

Business / Marketing = Queen of Swords

1) Page of Wands
2) Strength
3) King of Wands
4) The Emperor
5) 5 of pentacles
6) 8 of Pentacles
7) 3 of swords

Ew....ouch....doesn't look too good does it? I don't even need to read too much into this one. I'll work hard, and want to do well. And...will even be good at what I do. A real take charge authoritarian. I'll work hard. But, in the end I'll lose everything. I will betray someone, or someone will betray me. Sounds like an ENRON scandal. Wouldn't you agree?

After doing this I got answers. Even though I now know I didn't do the spread just right.

Anyone can feel free to help me see anything I may not have. Thanks.

Aleks

Aleks

Just Bumpin.

Aleks

Gardener

Hey Aleks, this is one durn big spread, isn't it? Of course, if you and I didn't both insist on THREE possible career paths, it wouldn't be so unwieldly...

So I don't know that you all want to see ALL the cards for this one. I laid it out a little differently from Aleks, based on how I read Rhiannon's instructions. Oh, what the heck, here it all is. I chose the Queen of Wands to represent my dream of becoming a full time writer (in the Wheel of Change, the Queen of Wands plays a flute in an orchestra, making music so beautiful it sets itself aflame). To represent a return to lawyering, the Knight of Swords. And for someone who works at the local art store, teaches art, does a little writing and stays home to cook, I picked the Princess of Disks (after all that food talk in my description of this Princess in exercise #5, I couldn't resist her!).

So my spread is as follows:

10 Wands.........5 Wands........EMPRESS.............7 Disks..........FOOL
......................Q Wands....Knight Swords....Princess Disks..............
........................6 Cups..............STAR..........Q Cups..........................
.......................Prince Cups....TEMPERANCE....4 Swords..................
..........................................10 Disks...............................................

(Note that Wheel of Change follows Thoth, having Prince and Knight as the two male courts.)

Now sometimes I can get insight from reading these big, time-to-be-responsible-for-your-life spreads, but this time it's just a little too confusing. All I really see is the Fool as my destiny. To me, that means I'll be trying it all. Over time, I'll be exploring all these options and more. I'm going to travel the universe, unfettered by too strong a sense of limitation, unable to see too far ahead but willing to keep on going.

I also notice the 10 of Wands as my guidance. Normally, this card means a big old burden weighing me down, but in the Wheel of Change, each wand is a flagpole with flags from nine countries and one with a picture of Earth as seen from space. Nice message, ties in with my "travel the universe" interpretation. Also, to me wands almost always represent energy for creative writing, here it seems to suggest, "The more the merrier," lots of writing projects, go go go!

I can't say I learned a lot about the courts from this exercise, but it's fun to get to know a new deck.

I think so far exercise #5 has taught me the most about the seeing the courts as more than stereotypes, or I should say, seeing the way a person who fits stereotypes can also have a lot more going on, personality-wise. When a court shows up in a querent's reading, my first thought is that it represents someone in the querent's life. But the person represented might be a lot more complex than I (or the querent) gives him/her credit for.

Rhiannon, thanks again for this wonderful study group. But you yourself seem to be a little behind in the homework!!! I notice nobody has yet tackled the Kings for exercise #5....

Edited to add:
If anyone reading this would like to venture comments on the career destiny reading, I'd welcome new viewpoints, indeed I would!

Rhiannon

Originally posted by Gardener Rhiannon, thanks again for this wonderful study group. But you yourself seem to be a little behind in the homework!!! I notice nobody has yet tackled the Kings for exercise #5.... [/B]
*Groan* I know, I know.... ;)