Unreversed Reversals

GoddessArtemis

I don't use reversals, but if I'm to consider both negative and positive interpretations for a card, how do I do that?

For example, if I draw Justice, and clarify it with the 9 of Wands...do I look at Justice in its reversed meaning? Imbalanced, unfairness, etc.?

Thanks.

GA

Sulis

I would say that it depends on the question, the position that Justice fell in and the surrounding cards. In other words, the context.

Context is everything. A card has a range of meanings, not an upright meaning and a reversed reading. The same card can be read in many different ways and it's the context that tells you how to read it.

Every reading is different.

rwcarter

If you're using a spread, the spread position can often dictate whether a card should be read positively or negatively. For Justice in the position, "What do I fear?" the interpretation would likely be negative. In the position, "What do I need to do?" the interpretation would likely be positive. In a position that describes the situation (especially as the first card in a spread), I would have to see a couple of other cards before I'd know whether Justice has a positive or negative interpretation.

And as Sulis said, context plays a large part. If all the other cards in the reading were negative, it's unlikely (although entirely possible) that Justice would have a positive interpretation.

Instead of reversals, I use Elemental Dignities. With EDs, Justice and the 9 Wands are friendly, so the 9 Wands would reinforce and strengthen the meaning of Justice. How would I interpret Justice though would really depend on the position in the spread as I've indicated above.

HTH,
Rodney

GoddessArtemis

rwcarter said:
Instead of reversals, I use Elemental Dignities. With EDs, Justice and the 9 Wands are friendly, so the 9 Wands would reinforce and strengthen the meaning of Justice. How would I interpret Justice though would really depend on the position in the spread as I've indicated above.
I think in this particular case, I like the idea of using elemental dignities--that may help. As for spread...there wasn't one. It was just a one-card draw for a single question about how someone feels about a conversation I had with them. Justice...hmmm, with 9 of Wands...I couldn't figure out if they thought I was doing the fair thing because I've been hurt...or they feel hurt because of decision I've made--in other words, they think I'm being unfair. That's partly why I was trying to figure out the "reversal or not" meaning..

Thank you.

GA

rwcarter

GoddessArtemis said:
I think in this particular case, I like the idea of using elemental dignities--that may help. As for spread...there wasn't one. It was just a one-card draw for a single question about how someone feels about a conversation I had with them. Justice...hmmm, with 9 of Wands...I couldn't figure out if they thought I was doing the fair thing because I've been hurt...or they feel hurt because of decision I've made--in other words, they think I'm being unfair. That's partly why I was trying to figure out the "reversal or not" meaning..

Thank you.

GA
If your question was actually how does the other person feel about the conversation you had with them, I would focus on them in the interpretation. I also wouldn't have had a clue how to interpret Justice by itself as an answer. But with the addition of the 9 Wands, my first thought is they feel somewhat off-balance (negative interpretation) and defensive because of the conversation.

Rodney

zannamarie

I often go with the first impression that comes to me.

I clear my mind before pulling the card and then go with my first impression. If I'm not sure and teetering between a positive and a negative meaning, I'd pull a second card.

balenciaga

GoddessArtemis said:
I don't use reversals, but if I'm to consider both negative and positive interpretations for a card, how do I do that?

For example, if I draw Justice, and clarify it with the 9 of Wands...do I look at Justice in its reversed meaning? Imbalanced, unfairness, etc.?

Thanks.

GA

I would not read it as reversed. I would read it as it fell, upright. Your clarifyer was upright as well, so read them then as a pair.
You can add numerology (add and reduce) or the ED method as others have suggested if you require more insight.

Sonic

Reversals

Over the years I have always stuck to decks that had very specific upright, and reversal meanings. Add spiritual meanings as well, and that adds up to three separate meanings per card. I have found that card sets that do not offer reversal meanings are easiest when read in reverse does not particularly mean the opposite of it's original meaning, simply modified. There is no concrete black and white on this path we all realize this. And if you pull the wish card reversed at this very moment, it will indeed mean you will not get your hopes desires on THAT day. Who is to say the chain of events will not change 1 minute, 1 hour or 1 day after pulling that card? And the path takes a new direction.

Go with your gut, and if clarifying/pairing is giving you trouble, find a deck you are more comfortable with. The ideology behind reading is pretty flexible but standard. Find a more suitable divination tool that speaks more clearly to you perhaps? imho...

Love & Light