Using Runic Poems

Aeric

A resurgence in interest in Norse myth has led me back to trying runes for the winter, using the Elder Futhark of Lo Scarabeo's deluxe wooden set. Lovely runes!

I'd like to know how people have fared using one or all three of the traditional rune poems to interpret castings. In the past, I've only used the translation of the single rune words and freely interpreted from those. A few are direct across all three poems, like Sowulo the Sun, others offer multiple meanings, like Uruz as dross, rain, or aurochs.

But the text of the poems also bear differences. For example the rune Tyr is described in Icelandic and Norwegian as a one-handed god, which offers one way to interpret, while the Anglo-Saxon offers another as a guiding star that never fails.

The Isa rune is identical in all three, but has various moods. Icelandic calls it the destruction of the doomed, Norwegian the bridge across which the blind man is led, Anglo-Saxon fair to look upon and glistening like glass and gems. Positive and negative interpretations are possible.

How successful have you been in relying on the text to interpret?