Various Exercises

Phoenix Morgen

I was just wondering, what are some various exercises and methods that can be used to understand the cards? Do you do practice readings? And if so, how do you do them? What techniques do you use to figure out the symbolism on the cards?

celticnoodle

when I first began to read the cards, I practiced on everyone who would allow me to read for them. I also read every book that I could find on reading the cards, (I first began with reading playing cards then 'graduated' to reading tarot cards). Then, I found this site, here. A.T. I joined in and began offering readings to others here and receiving them, as well. Played the games here extensively--which helped me a great deal! I still read books and all I can find on the net as well, and I still offer readings and receive them here too.

I read for myself now and again too. I use to and occasionally still do draw a card for 'tomorrow'. then at the end of the day, see if what I drew and what I experienced in the day is as I read it in the card.

another good exercise is to meditate on the card and record all that you sense from it.

I also made notes in one book that I really felt helped me a great deal in learning the tarot. things that I felt were a good meaning to the card(s).

One book that I just recently purchased, and find incredibly helpful is titled "Psychic Tarot" by Nancy Antenucci. you can find it in Barnes and Noble as well as online. A short book, easy to read and understand and many exercises contained inside to help you learn the tarot as well as develop your psychic skills when reading.

There are LOTS of great books out there! see if you can find some in your library, (mine doesn't have any, but I live in a very small town/community...) and then check out your local bookstore, and practice, practice, practice! But, do so in an enjoyable way--because if you make it fun, it'll always be that. If you make it work--it loses its appeal quickly.

nisaba

Phoenix Morgen said:
I was just wondering, what are some various exercises and methods that can be used to understand the cards? Do you do practice readings? And if so, how do you do them? What techniques do you use to figure out the symbolism on the cards?
I recommend pulling a card, examining at for a while, then writing a narrative based on the person or events depicted in the card. Do that randomly, out of order, and make it fun. You'll soon get to know the cards.

JBerry

Exercises...

When I first began reading, I created a learning deck. On the back, I glued a plain piece of paper. I wrote out various meanings that I gleaned from my studies. These included keywords and more in depth notes. Also I wrote notes for both upright positions and reversed positions. I put a small hole in the corner of each card. There are these chains that consist of little balls that are connected to each other. You can get a little lock to connect the chain together. I made a big chain. Then each card had its own loop that connected to the big chain. I could easily move from card to card to study these meanings. I made study decks for two different decks and found it a very useful tool. I could carry them with me and easily move from card to card,

I continue to use the drawing a single card daily, especially when I am becoming familiar with a new deck. I keep records of all of my readings in a journal. By doing a daily reading, I carry the energy of the card with me and see how it plays out in my day.

Also I record all of the single card readings that I do for other people. I file them by deck and by suit and card on my computer. It's interesting to review a new reading with reference to previous readings for the same card.

VGimlet

I do things very strangely, and my way is not the best for everyone.

For me, over three years I studied the RWS, the THoth and the Marseilles separately. One card every day or so. I used a bunch of different books as references, tarot books, symbolism books, etc. There was a notebook for each deck, and I wrote down the various meanings from each book, and my own interpretations. This is not necessarily the best way for everyone (the Marseilles deck almost burned me out) but it helped me a lot, and deepened my understanding. I don't know about ever doing notebooks for any other decks even though it was a good exercise for me.

Now I am using one 78 card deck per week (two decks if an oracle or 22 card deck is on the list as well) and doing daily 3-card readings for myself. Writing them in a notebook. If deck buying stays steady at the current rate, and I keep up with it, I should FINALLY finish next year. (This started in, ulp, 2004). I wanted to use ALL my decks, yes, even the collectors decks.

I don't re-read with different editions of the same deck (regular vs LE deck, or a small vs. giant) but will with varital decks (Universal, Illuminated, standard RWS, Diamond, etc.). If I get a 78 card version of a majors-only deck I already own I use it separately.

After I finish this exercise, I still plan on using each new deck I get for a week, but I want to go back and re-visit some of the decks, maybe spend a month with each of the favorites.

The best thing to do is read. "Do three card readings. Do a lot of them." I am quoting Umbrae. :D Practice, practice, practice. That seems to be the best way.

Most of all, make it fun for yourself.